Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Concerta wearing off after first day?

Concerta wearing off after first day?2011-06-18T20:35:11+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Concerta wearing off after first day?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was recently diagnosed with ADD and I was prescribed Concerta 18mg. The first day it felt like a huge difference, as though everything had been smoothed out a bit! I worked on things, cleaned a little bit, and wasnt as irritable as usual. Basically I felt calm all day. However, today is the second day taking it and I dont feel anything! I am irritable, hyper, distracted, etc. Does this mean that my body has gotten used to 18mg already and that I need a higher dose?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Possibly. 18mg is a pretty low dose, equivalent to 5 mg three times a day of regular methylphenidate. Discuss this with your doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My daughter who is 13 started taking it, had about 5 so far. She say she noticed a big change. Now last week she was on antibiotic for an ear infection + ibuprofen. So yeah, I guess anyone would feel lethargic and sleepy. It’s too soon to tell if it is working for her or not…..I feel like giving it another week.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW 18 mg is what she has now

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our laws here say that there has to be a successful trial of the short acting stimulants before doctors can prescribe slow release ones. So my 14 year old son had to try the short acting first (Ritalin 10mg), which was great, because my son and I could play around with the best dosing regime and amount, and then the doctor could study his dosing schedule and prescribe the most suitable slow release drug at the most suitable dose – which happened to be Concerta 27mg. We did the playing around with doses etc in the school holidays, as then we didn’t have to stuff around with medicating at school, which would have been a nightmare if we were changing doses and times regularly! My son also had to have been on a set dose for at least a week before the doctor would arrange for the long acting equivalent, and the total trial time had to be at least two weeks. It was good too, because the short acting one were a lot cheaper, so we weren’t having to buy different strengths of Concerta just to try them all out.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)