Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Considering Nursing School so I can go on to Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner

Considering Nursing School so I can go on to Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner2011-07-18T07:46:02+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers Considering Nursing School so I can go on to Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

First, let me say that I am scared sh*tless that I will fail, yet again. I’m Inattentive subtype. Time-management and procrastination have long been problems for me. I’ve failed or quit college 4 times. I dropped out of high school and it was only a program that allowed me to work at my own pace that helped me graduate (I finished 2 years of coursework in a month).

I have had a REALLY tough time trying to decide what to do “when I grow up”. I have so many interests. I think I may finally be onto something good. I want to help people who have ADHD, but I didn’t quite want the restrictions of being a doctor. I’m am 33 and I got diagnosed a few months ago. I truly had no idea – I thought I was just a screw-up. I was always “the smartest dumb person I know”.

I will start trying out medication(s) in a couple of weeks. I hope it works.

By the way – the only school I was ever able to complete was massage! Nothing like getting a massage every night after my tedious, exhausting office job. I really enjoyed it, but now that I know the ins and outs, I want more!

Any words of encouragement?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a nurse and I have found it a great occupation. There are routines that provide structure to the day, but there are plenty of changes that keep me from becoming bored. The best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned (as I don’t like big changes, or lots of changes in a short time span, but become bored with the same old stuff over and over). I had planned to become a midwife, or work with kids, but I ended up getting a job in a disability rehab centre and loved it so much that I stayed. Nursing has so many areas of speciality, so there is something to suit most people. Also, it’s a portable career that you can do in many places – country or city, across the states, or in other countries.

As for the study, I found that having a friendship group that was studious really helped. My friends would study in between lectures, and so I would too. They helped me when I got stuck, and because they were frequently discussing assignments and other homework, I didn’t forget to do my work as often. Hopefully the medications will help you and it will make a difference to your study if they do help. Try to take things a week at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed by the bigger picture. To start with, I wondered if I had made the right decision, but stuck with my study because I couldn’t think about what to do if I dropped out. I would have been directionless. I had already dropped out of one course, and ended up fluffing around going nowhere with my life, and I didn’t want to do that again, so I stuck at the nursing with the idea that at least I would have SOMETHING I was qualified to do while I thought more about where I wanted to go in my life. But in the end, I found I enjoyed nursing and I am still in the same job after 15 years.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)