Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Constant foot and leg shaking

Constant foot and leg shaking2011-04-02T22:08:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Constant foot and leg shaking

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

nellie

I’ve always done this as well. But less on medication until it wears off. I think it’s a way to cope when I have to sit in one place . I guess it’s just a manifestation of hyperactivity.

Just put on some music and no one will really notice:-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thankyou all for the input. Yesterday I finally got in contact with my doctor. She suspected the worsening was a side effect from one of my medications and prescibed me a medicine called cogetin. ( sorry if not spelled correctly). After and hour I finally had some relief but in started again after about 4 hour. I took the second dose and was able to sleep. I been a leg hoppers since a child but nothing like I been experiencing recently. I thought I was gonna lose it ya know. I like the idea of taking up knitting or something to take place of rythmic movement. I am gonna to try it. I have knitted in the past. I am so glad to have found these posting…… I finally feel like I am no alone in this.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

KNITTING TOTALLY ROCKS!!!! It’s wonderful for ADD, especially the part where you feel like your hands need to move all the time. However, for your legs, might I suggest learning the fine art of spinning wool, particularly on a double treadle wheel? This is awesome, too, although less portable.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I enjoy knitting, but I rarely finish anything :( I would love to have the staying power to finally finish something!!! I just get too interested in a new project so that I cannot possibly continue with the same old boring thing a second longer and just have to move on to the new project 😉 If knitting was a bit quicker then I’d probably finish more items. I am just too slow at it!!

I used to be a leg bouncer, and my ADHD son certainly is too. I don’t do it so much anymore, but I think it’s because I have found other outlets, and knee arthritis makes it less satisfying :? On top of it all, I have restless legs. It can’t be because of ADHD medications wearing off, because I am not on any. I have had RLS since I was in my late teens/early twenties (I am almost 40) and I have just started proper medication for it (as opposed to alternating codeine based painkillers with sleeping tablets, which was no longer very effective). I am having lots of fun (NOT!!) trying to find the appropriate dosage regime. The need to move from RLS is certainly very different to just having to move/jiggle/bounce. RLS verges on being painful, especially if I try to ignore it. A bit like sitting in one spot too long and feeling stiff and uncomfortable – there is great relief when you can finally move and stretch, but with RLS, the discomfort comes straight back as soon as you stop moving.

My ADHD son is showing early signs of RLS too, and he is not on any ADHD medication yet either. Incidentally, I have read that medication based treatment of one disorder (in people with both ADHD and RLS) often shows improvement in the symptoms of both disorders.

Hmm….I seem to have wandered off subject.

Sick_of – I am glad you got something to help you. If it was becoming exhausting and draining for you than it was obviously time to seek help. Not all jiggles and wiggles are from the hyperactivity part of ADHD, and it certainly looks like yours have another cause. Good luck and I hope the new medication continues to help.

REPORT ABUSE

RitaFaye

Late chiming in here, but this is so me.

A leg bouncer coming from a family of leg bouncers. I am the fourth confirmed diagnosis in my dad’s family, and we suspect it is quite rampant. I feel it is any hyperactivity I have coming out, since I tested as strictly Inattentive type, but I am a fidgeter. The leg bouncing can be annoying for others, but I don’t find it exhausting or draining and often don’t realize I’m doing it. When I cross my legs, I bounce the upper foot instead.

When my son was younger, pre-diagnosis, he was a big-time fidgeter, which sometimes came out with poking other people. I actually worked at teaching him the leg bounce, as it is far less annoying than poking your classmate.

And I still get a giggle remembering my mom in church. She is most definitely not ADHD, and one Sunday she found herself with my dad on one side, and my cousin and I on the other. We all crossed our legs with the upper foot pointed toward mom, and eventually all the feet were bouncing. I realized my mom was getting very, very annoyed and couldn’t figure out why. Until I realized that she was surrounded by bouncing feet! She told me after service she was almost ready to slap us all.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

All the time. It’s as if I have to be doing something physical at all times. “Fidgety Phyllis” for sure!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)