Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Controlling your senses

Controlling your senses2015-05-15T23:16:50+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Controlling your senses

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

holmless

Hi there! Half way through my sophomore year of college and I was diagnosed with ADD. That was about 2 and half month ago and then I started medication about 7 weeks ago and it’s been life changing! Anyways, I’ve noticed that after I comedown off my medication my symptoms seem to doubled their intensity, especially my heightened senses. My ‘super’ hearing is the worst of it… I hear and focus on every receptive or continuous sound, making it near impossible to focus on anything else. A lot the noises almost hurt my ears too if that makes sense. They drive me insane and it can make me extremely overwhelmed and anxious.

I was wondering if anyone had some tips that work for them or someone else they know with this problem? I’m mainly looking for tips while studying but honestly anything would help. I’ve tried listening to music, mainly instrumental, while studying but it doesn’t help since I just focus the beats of song.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks so much 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

daycruncher

If you are unable to study at night, and experience a comedown at that time, I would definitely talk to your prescribing doctor about it.  I would probably just say that I have difficulty studying, and it’s a come-down effect and when it hits.  If you are taking the medication dose accurately and on time, as they recommended, then they may prescribe something to be able to cover a little more time in the evening for you for the study.  Just a guess!  I have heard of people taking the extended release type of pill in the morning, and a ritilin at some afternoon hour when they know they typically crash.  This is to help people be able to function in the afternoons better although I think early evening too.

REPORT ABUSE

lindsey3

Hi holmless, did you have heightened senses before taking ADHD medication? I don’t have a ‘come down’ feeling after taking my meds – I am sort of on or off, and the difference is subtle. There isn’t an in between feeling. I’m a bit worried about you! I think you should visit your prescribing doctor and talk about this – it may be that you should be on a milder dose or a different brand.

A non ADHD friend of mine is super sensitive to smells, taste and hearing – he is also very sensitive to stimulants. A few sips of alcohol and he feels very weird ( unlike me! ) – a mild spice in food and he flushes. Your sensitivity may not be compatible with your current meds, or the meds may be releasing an unhelpful consequence.

Take advice as soon as possible – this can be sorted out.

REPORT ABUSE

dithl
    Participant

What kind of instrumental music? Have you experimented with different types? Maybe something more classical / less noticeable beats? What about just good headphones to block noise?
    Good idea to check with doctor about how long your meds are lasting. Or – can you study at a different time of day and do less cognitive stuff in the evening once your meds have worn off?
    I am finding lately that I have days that I am more sensitive to noise than others – and there doesn’t seem to be rhyme or reason to it. That’s the fun part of this whole experience – some days you know why you have “off days”, some days are just because.
    Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)