Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Core competencies

Core competencies2012-04-03T20:51:51+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Bend The Workplace To You Core competencies

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Cyclone

Our annual review process includes assessment of the following core competencies:

1. Customer Focus
    2. Drive for Results
    3. Planning
    4. Communication
    5. Teamwork

These are all good qualities, but 2, 3, & 4 aren’t the most ADD friendly (mostly 2). I never seem to rate well with these, but I know I need to work on them. What bothers me more is that this list doesn’t include some of the things ADDults are really good at. So it picks up on my weaknesses while ignoring my strengths.

I thought I would suggest a few more…

• Creativity
    • Problem Solving
    • Domain specific knowledge
    • Cross-disciplinary knowledge
    • Helpfulness

Do any of you have any suggestions? Have you tried the same thing at your workplace?

-Cyclone

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe it could go like this….keep the initiatives…..and add your suggestions as the measure, as a build so to speak??? Or at the very least, when you do your annual objectives suggest “your objects” be measured like this….???

Example….

1. Customer Focus

Creativity

Problem Solving

Domain specific knowledge

Cross-disciplinary knowledge

Helpfulness

2. Drive for Results

Creativity

Problem Solving

Domain specific knowledge

Cross-disciplinary knowledge

Helpfulness

3. Planning

4. Communication

5. Teamwork

Just blue skying………

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

anniea

TooFat… I love how you think… thanks..

REPORT ABUSE

Cyclone

Hi toofat,

I like where you’re going with this. I can very easily work these in as qualifiers for some of the existing items. This will certainly do for the short term.

Over the long term I’d still like to see some more dimensions added to the core competencies that everyone is judged on. It’s not only fair (let some of the Linears show weaknesses too), but I think it actually provides more valuable information to management. Not just on “performance”, but also when determining who is right for certain jobs.

I’d love to hear what others think as well.

-Cyclone

REPORT ABUSE

Cyclone

What’s a good word for a personal quality that describes an ability to remain calm in chaos?

A word for “Ability to think on your feet”.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Calm in chaos? Composed.

Ability to think on your feet? Ahh, the word escapes me as well right now. It must be due to my chaotic day (yet again) and the need for some sleep.

If another word pops into my head tomorrow in a spare moment (as if!), I’ll try to help you out. I’ve got a huge annual review coming up for myself.

😯

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have core competencies that we are rated on that include a few that I sometimes get rated mediocre on: Attention to Detail, Decisiveness, Multitasking, and Coaching and Mentoring are included. Instead of Customer Focus we have Customer Service, We also have Flexibility, Oral and Written Communication, Interpersonal Skills, (job specific skills- security equipment and procedures) and Technology application. I’m not sure how any of these relate to your business though.

The ones I get rated mediocre on are things someone with ADD would/does struggle with.

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

I agree with Toofat that breaking down the categories makes the most sense. Honestly, the current ones are pretty much meaningless because they are so broad! Off the top of my head, some suggested sub-categories:

Customer Focus—Responds to a customer promptly, polite to customers, follows through each time to ensure the customer is happy

Drive for Results—This is so vague I’ve got nothing.

Planning–Depends on what your job entails—Incorporates team members in the planning process, adequately reports progress or any changes to supervisors, effectively gathers all of the needed information before starting a project, accurately creates time estimates for project tasks and the entire project, meets the majority of completion estimates

Communication–Writes clearly and concisely, Speaks clearly and politely, chooses the appropriate means of communication (eg. phone call to co-worker vs. office wide memo)

Teamwork–Gives constructive criticism appropriately, responds well to constructive criticism, keeps team members and supervisors adequately informed about projects, speaks about and to other members of the company in a positive, appropriate manner

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)