Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Cost of Generic Adderall XR?

Cost of Generic Adderall XR?2011-02-24T22:40:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Cost of Generic Adderall XR?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was just diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type today. I was blown away by the meds cost, because I have a very high deductible so have to pay retail prices for the meds. Does $150 for a 30 day support of generic Adderall XR sound right?

Does anyone know of any coupons or savings program for the brand name for the first month as I try it to see if it will help me?

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi glassjules,

Presently, with my insurance (UHC), the generic XR is 4x as expensive than the brand! Occasionally, the pharmacist will overlook this and run it through as the generic, and I have to remind them to give me the brand and we both always scratch our heads, but I guess the generic is still too new to the market ~ at least that’s what I’ve been told?!

Your only other option that I am aware of is to have your Dr. prescribe the non XR generic i.e. D-amphetamine salt combo (at some kind of equivalent to what your script is for the XR), if you follow me here?

So for what it’s worth, that’s my 2 cents!

Rots ‘o Ruck! ;-) marilyn

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

glassjules–the pricing actually sounds about right for Adderall XR. Actually, it sounds close to what the generic XR would cost in my neck of the woods.

I’m pretty fortunate–my insurance plan covers generics (and a few brands) at a $15 copay. When I was started on Adderall XR this past November, my pharmacy automatically gave me the generic XR at the established generic price. I take 20 mg twice daily, and find it awesome!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Take a look at the website for Adderall. The manufacturer may offer a patient assistance plan which covers some or all of the cost. I know there’s one from Janssen (the maker of Concerta), which covers the part of my Concerta prescription that isn’t paid for by my drug plan.

Generic versions of most over-the-counter medications are a great way to save money, because you can get the same drug for 20-40% less.

But beware of generic medications for mental conditions.

Often, they are very different from the branded versions, and one generic brand can vary greatly from even another generic brand! This is because different brands use different filler materials, and because generics are allowed to contain as much as 10% more or 10% less of the dosage of the branded version. That means a potential range of 20%, which is a huge difference, which you will instantly feel if your pharmacy suddenly changes brands of generic.

And then, there’s the matter of a different delivery system which is the essence of certain branded medications. If the generics don’t use the same delivery system as the branded, then they act so differently that they cannot be considered a substitute for the branded. Concerta is an example of this.

Take a look in the Videos section on this website. Rick has done several videos addressing the issue of generics vs. branded medications.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have had ADHD for a some time and i just got back on my meds and for Adderall XR I only had to pay $40.00 for a 30 day and thats not generic and the name of the generic is D-AMPHETAMINE SALT COM XR that is what was givein to me the first time

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you or someone in your household are members of AARP, if you sign up for their Rx discount program ($20/yr) then register for the mail services program, you can get the generic for around $50/mo if you buy a 90 day supply. The cost will vary with the dosage.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Generally speaking generics are equivalent to brand name products and are as effective at a greatly discounted price. Sadly this isn’t true with the Canadian generic Concerta.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

There can be enough differences to make them not as effective, as I learned from the lady/nurse who prescribes for me. Check with the folks who find diminished help from certain generics. They may work, they may not, IMO it should only be up to the doctor or prescriber to substitute.

REPORT ABUSE

Kissarissa

I did not see the $, but when I asked the pharmacist about it, he said the cost (for me) is ~$250-300 a month. I’ve also heard (from somewhere) there can be a difference between the different types of generics.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)