Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Crazy in the Cubicle – is this common?

Crazy in the Cubicle – is this common?2012-04-18T16:43:35+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work Crazy in the Cubicle – is this common?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

kc5jck
    Participant

I wouldn’t say that turning the other cheek is overrated. I think it is more in reference to obedience properly due to authority and to forgiveness, as opposed to bad manners and abuse of any kind for any reason.

In the later case, as occured with your travel experience, they can “kiss my cheeks.” ;) 😮

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks Bellamom, I feel a little less freaky now :-) Pine sol makes me go batty. Mostly because we always had dogs n cats. Cleaning up after them with pine sol…. scrubbing that stink out of shag carpets always felt like punishment.

It almost hurts to read what you’ve said Peter. I dread thinking I might have any kind of autism. It would esplain a lot to me. It would also give the people in my life more of an excuse to be abusive with me. Treat me like “Rain Man” I don’t mind touched. I just sometimes want to…. hmmm. something not nice. When I’m not in the mood to be touched. does that make any sense to anyone?

I’m not sure I want my DNA examined, or pictures of my brain taken. I’m doing great with my big bad plate full of ‘stuff” watching that Jebb Corliss video, the long one about him freaked me out a little.

All of my “plans” are years n years behind me. I cried the first two times I watched the end of Point Break. Maybe because I could relate to how Bodie felt. His life. How it all came apart in the end.

I get all my courage from faith. It’s my anchor. Most of my life I blasted the “cheek smiters” with a surprise left.

Now I find it easy to let em have my coat too.

Love n peace gang

goin bak to mu musak.

lata.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Wow. Look at all of these great responses! Thank you everyone!

Geoduck: you might be on to something there, with your note about being particularly aware of/sensitive to noises after the Adderal wears off. I had the same thoughts about my meds, and whether it was time to go back to the doc. If it were one thing – such as the nail clipping that annoys your hubby – I could easily write it off as “just one of those things”. In the case of OG though, it’s a whole menu of noises. And then, adding in the other noises from various people…and you get to the point where you finally have to say “hmm. Maybe these hundreds of cars on this highway aren’t driving in the wrong direction; maybe it’s me.”

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

kc5jck: the thing about OG is that he’s socially unaware. I mean completely unaware: this I know from overhearing someone else complaining about him drinking directly from our workplace’s kitchen tap. He wouldn’t know a hint if it hit him in the face (not that I haven’t imagined myself doing so). Thanks for the suggestions though! : ) And yeah, turning the other cheek is entirely overrated. Except when you know that there’s a backstory involved with the other guy, and you can afford to hold off immediate consequences long enough to learn what it is (something I’ve learned the hard way). Sometimes though – a cigar is a cigar – and the only response to a slap on the check is a hard check into the boards.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Bellamom: man I can sympathize with the ball bouncing noise. And the knees in the back thing too – which often happens at movies. What often stops me from going down the road to rage is realizing that there’s a remote possibility that some of that nervous behaviour is an indicator of someone else “enjoying the treasures” of ADHD. : ) Like me. At least, when it happens in the theater, you can move to a new spot. Not that case with the airplane.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Peter: thanks very much for your thoughts on autism. I appreciate you discussing that here, and will look into it. With ADHD, I pretty much knew I had it once I learned what the symptoms were, long before I went through the battery of tests to get a formal diagnosis. With autism…not so much. This could be just one of those things where normal irritation becomes acute during those times when the ADHD bouncing balls become most prevalent. Still, it’s worth researching. (Wait: that battery of tests normally pick up on stuff like that, don’t they? If only to rule out other conditions? Not sure.)

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Robbo: I laughed when I read about the problems with the earplugs. I have the same issue when I wear them too. But…the picture you painted of working in the midst of a redwood forest resonated with me. It kind of blew me away actually – it sounds so tranquil and…kind of like a musical picture. Thank you very much for that. I’ve already copied that portion out and sent it to my daughter, who thought it was stunning. (I agree). Thank you again. You didn’t even have to mention you were an artist – that comes through quite clearly.

Question for you: what are your favourite classical pieces? What resonates with you and allows you to work when you need to?

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I am sorry guys – this is hilarious. Can you just imagine all of us on a plane together for a long flight! :| 😯 😆

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Wolf< (Wait: that battery of tests normally pick up on stuff like that, don’t they? ( do they? are they looking!) If only to rule out other conditions? Not sure.) << Be sure <<

The battery of tests!

Fluid at best I would say :s

Do you look people in the eye when coversing,

Sensitive to sounds?

Like numbers or word play?

Dislaike routine breakdowns?

Facial exressions not matching what you feel?

Mis-read peoples body langauge or they you?

NOTE: Other conditions can co-inside< cosy up and make them selfs at home with ease.

Autisum and ADHD are kissing cousins my freind ;)

They played together, schooled together even fooled together

Worth a look Wolf ;)

WOFH ;)

The fckers are everywhere :P

Pete xx

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Scattybird, can you imagine being staff on that plane??? 😯

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Peter: that list you provided is helpful. The only one that strikes me is the shyness around looking people in the eye when talking. It’s an empathic thing. If anything i read people a little too clearly, which makes things uncomfortable. Still – it’s worth investigating. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Philabuster

Earplugs saved my sanity many times.

I work in a noisy machine shop, but we have about 10 different ear plug styles to choose from. Find the right ones and you can wear them for 12 hours no problem. My favorites are contoured orange foam and have the highest decibel reduction (33db).

I will put in the earplugs anytime I start feeling irritated–be it machine noise or people around me having a meaningless conversation about whatever and need the earplugs to remove myself from listening without leaving my work area.

Buddy and I went to a sports bar to get some food after work. The music and noise was overwhelming after about 5 minutes. I walked to my vehicle and returned with my earplugs. He looked at me like WTF? I said it is either earplugs or I have to leave. This place is really pissing me off. Earplugs in and I was calming down. I now keep a set of earplugs on me at all times.

I have even worn the earplugs in a training session in a quiet room to block out the whispering women sitting behind me. I came to hear the presenter, not the gossip crap. Really irritated me to the point of turning around and shouting at them to STFU or put in earplugs. Problem solved. I could hear the presenter just fine, and the whispering was now gone.

If I REALLY need to be left alone, then out comes the contoured earbuds for my mp3 player. I can not stand the earphones for nearly as long as the earplugs, but they block out ALL external noise essentially telling everyone around me to leave me the F alone.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Philabuster: thanks very much for relating your experience. I use that same brand of orange foam earplugs at home, just so that I can stay asleep. Never knew they could be used to filter out background noise while allowing you to concentrate on someone else who is speaking though. That’s interesting – think I’m going to give that a shot.

I relate emphatically to your bar experience. Anything that would work so well as to allow me to calm down would be terrific.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow. This was both helpful and ….. entertaining? lol

I have many members in my extended family. In my early teens, we had a get-together like every weekend. I need to mention that we are Hispanic, so that means loud (but fun) get-togethers. And while all my cousins are at the table chatting and chomping away the only thing I was registering was the sound of them chewing.They didn’t eat with their mouths open. But OMGOSH was it annoying! I can’t believe I would even ask my cousin to stop chewing so loud. lolol She looked at me like I had two heads.

I can remember several similar occasions. Even during high school my friends knew that I couldn’t stand the sound of them eating crunchy things. At that point I was not aware I had ADD. Gosh even thinking about it makes me cringe. I definitely have to invest in those headphones!

REPORT ABUSE

Philabuster

Speaking of earplugs, it takes takes practice talking to someone when you are wearing earplugs in a quiet area. Many times I end up either shouting or whispering because the earplugs block my own ears from hearing my voice, which helps you regulate your own voice level.

I can hear voices much clearer when I am wearing earplugs in a noisy machine shop or sitting in a sports bar. I really do not care if I have a bright orange dot in my ear if it helps me chill out.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)