Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

curiosity about ADHD and developmental delays

curiosity about ADHD and developmental delays2011-07-16T22:25:13+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? ADHD/ADD in Childhood curiosity about ADHD and developmental delays

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Although now, I am a master’s educated individual, I had some developmental delays as a young child. I am curious whether this is common for ADHD. I missed nearly every single milestone. I couldn’t sit up until I was about 9 months. Could not walk until about 19 months. I could not talk in two or three word sequences until I was about 2.5 years old. I could not write or read until I was nearly 7, even though I did try and got extremely frustrated. I could not draw shapes until I was about 6. I had a speech impediment in which I could not pronounce five different sounds. I now have normal speech after 4 years of elementary speech therapy.

When I was a young child, I was given a battery of testing to make sure I did not have hearing impediments or was mentally retarded. I was considered to have above average to average intelligence, but was emotionally and cognitively immature. I was also somewhat oppositional defiant. I was never disruptive or violent, but would just stubbornly refuse to do what authority such as my parents and teachers asked of me. I did not understand why I should do what others told me to do when I did not want to. I would have temper tantrums with my parents, but would just respectively refuse activities in school. I would get punished, sit in corners, and be deprived snacks, which did not curb the behavior. I finally started to break of this around 6-7 years old. I was almost held back in Kindergarten due to my deficits and behaviors. I attended a private kindergarten because I could not attend a public one. I did attend the first grade at a public school and managed to do some quick catching up.

just some ponderings. Anyone have a similar young childhood experience?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

bump thread.

still curious =P

REPORT ABUSE

Rocky

I didn’t talk or walk until I was 2 and a half.. I don’t know if it’s related, but I’ve googled about adhd and speech delay and I’ve heard of other cases of it (on internet forums).

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

i’m not aware of having had any dev. delays.

however my my son who has diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder -but i strongly suspect has co-morb of add – has had many dev delays.

my husband probably also has add (but was never diagnosed ), though it appears mild ( compared to me). i know he really struggled in school, even being kept back in 8th grade, until finally catching up and doing well the last couple of years in high school. he was also esl, but i don’t think that explains all his diificulties early on, especially since he is really amazing at learning other languages. there were no dd.

anyway, as far as i know, i don’t think there is any direct correlation between add and dd, though there is a high incidence of co-morbidities, and some co-morb present with dd. again, that’s just my take on what i’ve read so far.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)