Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Cymbalta + Aderral?

Cymbalta + Aderral?2011-05-07T04:55:56+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Antidepressants Cymbalta + Aderral?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, my doc switched me from Concerta XR 18mg 2x qd to Aderral XR 40 mg 1x qd and has now added in Cymbalta 30 mg 1x qd. I asked multiple people including my psychiatrist and pharmacist about any contraindications with these two meds (Aderral and Cymbalta) and everyone said they did not interact, but on a drug website it says they have severe interaction. (But on the other hand, it said “Aderral and Food have a moderate interaction”… wth? lol, so I shouldn’t eat while taking meds? yeah, ok!) I have not noticed any weird side effects from taking them together, but want any input from anyone who has had experience with these two drugs combined. I feel great, really no difference at all. My BP is normal, my alertness seems almost multiplied, and my heart rate is normal as well. I was put on the Aderral for ADHD, and the Cymbalta for depression & Fibromyalgia. My wide-spread pain hasn’t completely diminished yet, but I can tell it’s helping a little. I just started taking the Cymbalta 2 days ago, so I really have a week or so before any true effects kick in. Anyone else taken these drugs together?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

From the Adderall XR product monograph: “Amphetamine is known to inhibit monoamine oxidase, whereas the ability of amphetamine and its metabolites to inhibit various P450 isozymes and other enzymes has not been adequately elucidated. In

vitro experiments with human microsomes indicate minor inhibition of CYP2D6 by amphetamine and minor

inhibition of CYP1A2, 2D6, and 3A4 by one or more metabolites. However, due to the probability of auto-

inhibition and the lack of information on the concentration of these metabolites relative to in vivo

concentrations, no predications regarding the potential for amphetamine or its metabolites to inhibit the

metabolism of other drugs by CYP isozymes in vivo can be made.”

Cymbalta drug interactions from it’s product monograph:

“• Potent inhibitors of CYP1A2 should be avoided. (7.1)

• Potent inhibitors of CYP2D6 may increase duloxetine concentrations. (7.2)

• Duloxetine is a moderate inhibitor of CYP2D6. (7.9)”

You can quickly see that both of the drugs interact with cytochrome enzymes 2D6 and 1A2 and while not contra-indicated, one should be advised to be cautious.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too suffer from ADD, depression (with anxiety) and Fibromyalgia. (My friends, family and I jokingly say “squirrel” whenever I get distracted! Love the movie UP!:) My doctor just prescribed this for me as well, but I wanted to check here for advice. I was just on Cymbalta 30mg but it wasn’t helping with the ADD symptoms, in fact, my memory issues doubled and I started having issues with IBS that I hadn’t had in years. However the Cymbalta did greatly decrease my anxiety which helped me to sleep and was starting to help with the pain – either that or being able to sleep again was helping with the pain!

Dr. J, honestly, I did not quickly see what you were saying…sorry, but you are way more intelligent than me in this area! But I am assuming you mean that yes, it could be problematic to combine these two drugs. She has me on 20mg of Cymbalta 1x a day and 10mg of Adderall 2x a day (Since going into perimenopause I have become very sensitive to medications so I have to start way below what most people start out taking.) I too suffer from ADD, depression (with anxiety) and Fibromyalgia.

Wondering if there might be a better drug or combo of drugs for our symptoms? Hoping you are still doing well! If you find anymore information would you please let me know and I will do the same…adding this to my favorites!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Cymbalta) – http://www.grandmeds.com/catalog/Depression/Cymbalta.htm?refid=299 I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)