Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Cymbalta? For ADHD…….

Cymbalta? For ADHD…….2011-02-14T15:38:15+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Antidepressants Cymbalta? For ADHD…….

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cymbalta off label use for ADHD…. Has anyone had possitive results from ADHD symptoms from this medication….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been on it for almost a month and it seems to be helping. I have lots of anxiety and Fibromyalgia, which is why we went this way. It has most definitely helped with the anxiety! The only thing I am unsure of is if it is making me more forgetful than before. Since I am already so forgetful, I can’t remember if I was already this bad or getting worse. Lol…yes, I know that sounds pretty funny but it is so true! I completely forgot about a meeting that was on my calendar and didn’t realize I had missed it for 4 days…that isn’t really like me. My boss is awesome…he just told me, when I apologized for missing the meeting that all I missed was getting a $50,000 raise and a permanent parking spot. Lol! I am so blessed to have the job I have, just really want to keep it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m taking 30 mg daily Cymbalta right now for depression/anxiety, and am as yet undiagnosed but suspect ADD. What is the common treatment dosage for ADD?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it just depends on the person. I am very sensitive to medications so we are reducing my dose to 20mg to see if it helps with my memory issues and the IBS it has started. She also added Adderall 10mg to help with the ADD. However on a different thread Dr J advised caution when combining these two meds so now I am confused as to the safest route for me. The Cymbalta really helped with my anxiety though!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the general feeling is that the ADD treatment is less effective if you’re under constant stress.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I actually imported Cymbalta for a year as treatment for my depression prior to Health Canada approval. This was prior to y recent ADD diagnosis. In hindsight . . .it worked moderately well for my depression. . .but did not affect my ADD traits. I was dianosed this past March – and personally Concerta has made a dramatic difference. However, as an RN, and a first hand consumer during my treatment for depression over 12 years – brain chemistry is all very individual. . .and if the “usual” meds do not work for you. . and you have a doc who is willing to try some of the off-label stuff which is usually based on anecdotal reports in the literature or the result of small studies. . .nothing ventured nothing gained . . .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been taking Cymbalta for depression (comorbid with/from ADD) for about 6 months and it has worked miracles. It wasn’t perscribed to me for ADD but I can say it certainly helped me overcome many ADD symptoms simply by getting the depression out of the way. So, to answer your question, from my experience, if you have depression with ADD (very common) Cymbalta may relieve many of your ADD symptoms.

That being said, if one suffers from ADD with comorbid depression, I suspect whatever anti-depressant(s) that works best for you would have the same effect. Unfortunately, the same medicines will affect each individual differently. I don’t think I’ve ever met any two ADDers who have had the same experience with any drug.

Regarding using Cymbalta with Adderal, I’ve been using them together for several months and have had wonderful results. I would like to know what Dr. J said about combining these two drugs. Can you provide a link or the name of the article/posting in which he talks about them?

Thanks and Cheers,

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, Sorry for the late reply wrong_writer. Cymbalta and Adderall can be used together and work in different ways that can be complementary. One only has to be worried if two medications compete at the same place to be metabolized (e.g. Prozac + Strattera) where there may be a risk of toxicity.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Dr J! I am on low doses of both and they seem to be helping…glad to know it is okay to combine them. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let me preface this by saying that, though they’re not the same medication, Cymbalta and Effexor XR are both serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI), so they might be similar enough for me to chime in.

I take 300 mg Effexor XR daily for depression. Unfortunately, I still had ADHD symptoms even on that (high) dose! Concerta on top of it helps but seems to be too much on the norepinephrine.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

I suspect my mama has ADD, and when she was taking Cymbalta, I believe it was the most successful drug for her to date. She was taking it for diagnosed depression. She kept saying how she actually had energy on the medication, and could get stuff done.

Looking back, I wonder if it wasn’t helping with her ADD symptoms in addition to the depression? Or, allieving (sp?) the depression so well that it inadvertently helped with the ADD?

For some reason she stopped taking it, and when she restarted it after a long while, and after taking another drug in-between, she reported that it didn’t work as well. :-/

REPORT ABUSE

cherryberryblossom

what about cymbalta and vyvanse? all the sites said caution and don’t mix?

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

I’m taking Cymbalta & Vyvanse together, and my doctors (primary care & psych.) haven’t mentioned any issues.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)