Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Daniel Amen books

Daniel Amen books2010-12-12T19:38:02+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Other Daniel Amen books

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just looked up Daniel Amen’s book entitled Healing ADD. I noticed it was printed in 2001. Is there any reason to wonder if this is now outdated information? He has printed a lot of other books that are newer, but none of them have titles that seem so appropriate to my situation as this one. Thoughts? Advice?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The key part in Dr. Amens stuff is his use of Spect scans to diagnose and treat ADD his books are mainly a lot of break down on his extensive background with treatment, and he has an interesting take on it as he seems to have identified specific areas of the brain that may deal with hypo or hyper active ADD.

All this info is more than still relevant today and his clinics are still around. Would be a great read to educate you on all the subtle differences of ADD, but DO NOT do the recommended treatments until you are diagnosed. I fell into this trap and thought that I had “dealt” with my problem with some St John’s Wort and 5-htp. It kept me from seeking real treatment for over a year (nothing against herbal stuff…..I just was in need of something more potent)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did someone say he makes lots of money with his schtick?

Someone should really validate the data. How come no one has? That’s a very good question.

Anyone done the Amen thing….?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I looked into it but the price tag was a little steep at almost $4k US. I asked about insurance and they told me that they do not bill any insurance, they just give you the codes and leave it up to you to be reimbursed by your insurance (if at all).

I cant say much for his research or use of a Spect scan….I don’t have enough initials after my name to comment on that, but his book was the first thing to turn me on to the fact that ADD doesnt just mean you are the random unruly kid in class that cant control themselves. Unfortunately I misused the information in the book and didnt seek professional help, and that hurt me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a “mild” case of Tourettes Syndrome and ADD is often associated with the disorder. Now that I am older, the Tourettes

has lessened but the ADD has taken over my life, challenging me in ways as an adult that I never had a problem with as a child.

I purchased one of Dr. Amen’s books because it dealt with ADD and with Tourettes, among other brain issues, and how to

“heal” it. Might be the same book JamesM bought. Typical ADD behavior( which I have just learned from this website),

I did not finish reading it. That said, I was a voracious reader as a child through High School, constantly reading books for

pleasure.At age 30, that desire changed. WHY?

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

As I understand Amen’s work, he is a brain physiologist. He has 50,000+ SPECT brain scans with personality tests associated. This has led him to be able to associate behaviors with too much brain activity or too little activity in specific areas of the brain. The great thing about his publishing the books on ADD is that we can see that our behavior is due to our brain structure. The cost of doing the SPECT scans and getting diagnosed and treatment is high. As I understand it, the personality testing is now the primary diagnostic tool with the SPECT scans being used only when necessary. The other side of this is that we can use the personality testing to get an idea of what our issues are. It is necessary to get to a doctor for assessment, prescription, follow ups, etc.

By the way, Dr. J said, “Did someone say he makes lots of money with his schtick? Someone should really validate the data. How come no one has? That’s a very good question.”

I have no issue with someone making some money when they make their research available. I imagine that Amen’s work has resulted in large numbers of people with ADD getting help from their psychiatrists (sounds like a lot of psychiatrists making money from Amen’s shtick). Amen clinics do a lot of good for a lot of people. His appearances on PBS have done a lot of good. I’m happy that he makes lots of money when he has done that much good.

As to someone validating his data, what do you suggest? Do we need to repeat his SPECT scans plus personality tests, etc? Would you like to audit his data? Are you thinking he has manufactured his information?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, Dr.J, do you think the breakdowns are accurate in Amen’s book? How about the characteristics of the 6 different types? Maybe it doesn’t matter beyond understanding that the things my son has been doing aren’t his fault so to speak. Until my son’s junior year in college, we didn’t even know he was ADD. It was never a big deal until the whole stress of an engineering major, and poor sleep habits were about to do him in.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)