Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dealing with this for a life time

Dealing with this for a life time2011-12-05T19:24:56+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story Dealing with this for a life time

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to this disorder. I was diagnosed at the age of 7 and have been on plenty of medications and plenty of diets. I have been labelled my whole life as the class clown, trouble maker, and the kid that can never sit still! I struggled in schools with making friends, and of course with the academics. I never thought I was stupid but after being told you are for 20 years you start to believe it.

It was until I enrolled in my Child and Youth Worker Course at Holland college where I started to realize the importance of my medication and the role it played in my life.

Previous to this I flunked out of University because I was not foccused and not taking any sort of medication. I had meds, but I was too embarrassed to take them.

I was a varsity soccer player who was the life of every university party, and I knew everyone. In the long run it ruined my chances of passing anything those first two years of University. I finally went back to school at 23 at Holland College. My teacher was a counselor and informed me that I should probably get back on my meds if I want to succeed in her course hahaha.

I agreed to go back on my meds and it was the biggest turn around in my life to this day. I completed the youth worker course and went on to university.

I am now back in university, I am four credits away from completing my Bachelor degree and I have honor marks (85%) average. I am certainly going on to do more school. I feel my medication combined with an extreme time management schedule helped me through my life and will continue to help me.

My goal is to finish my masters in the next three years. My applications have already been sent out. I am proud to be a recipient of ADHD. I will also remind anyone that is reading this that I have a severe case of ADHD. I am some one who struggles daily but succeeds through hard work and committment.

I know these points may be all over the place haha but you all know what its like writing down ideas from your head!!!!!!!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this with us. It’s great to hear the meds have helped you – but well done to YOU too for being so determined. Good luck with your masters applications.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

** Like**

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you very much for the responses.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also like your post. Thank you. Since you have been “fortunate to have had your diagnosis” from an early age, have you seen any cyclical attributes to your ADD? I am 45 years old and a recently diagnosed. As I look back in my life it is plain to see. However, I see many times in my life that I did not suffer as much as other times. Maybe its my other issues that surface, depression/anxiety?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

awesome , always good to hear good things :) what medications do you take

and I agree meds+hardwork and commitment can beat it :) I have noted this quote from one of Dr J’s blogpost:- its the most amazing feeling to know you have faced the mountain and it bowed down to you. you deserve to have this feeling everyday :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mentalchaos- I have seen tons of cyclical attributes as you call them. I look throughout my life and realize finally that I can answer all the WHYs in my life. Yes I am glad I was diagnosed with ADHD at an early age. But that didnt matter to any of my teachers, coaches, or principles at the time. It was not until I was willing to look into the disorder my self that I started to feel good about it. The more educated I became the more answers I was able to give my self. I think the highs and lows of your life are like any others but you have to remember that there are days when your ADHD is heightened and than days that it is not. So depending on a million issues you may not suffer as much one day and than more the next day.

I also think that it is important to remember that ADHD exaggerates a lot of emotional feelings and sometimes I have deemed my self as short term depressed. Because I would be at an extreme low and think I am depressed but than bounce back with and extreme high the next day. It is a weird emotional roller coaster.

Anxiety is through the roof with me. I am always concerned abotu what other people think of me. Always concerned in impressing others. I think that stems from issues of people calling me dumb or no good my whole life. I am self concious about everything. But now I tell myself everyday that It was not my fault. I have a disorder.

You wouldnt get mad at someone in a wheelchair for not walking?? So anytime there is an issue. I openly describe my disorder to people and than they know..

It is important to make people aware of this disorder. If they are unaware than they are quick to assume.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fairytail teller-

I am currently taking Dexedrine which is another slow release like concerta or aderal. I know I didnt spell them right. I thank you for your comments and look forward to talking with you in the future.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Thanks for your positivity Colby – Welcome to our group :)

Side note: (I wish they would have dexedrine in the US!)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your response. I am concerned for my job security if I confessed my diagnosis. I am a senior level police officer. I have been successful at hyperfocusing during criminal investigations. However about 4 years ago I was promoted out of that job. Now I am responsible for a ridiculus amount of administration work. My evaluations and performance levels are falling like a rock. Going back to my previous job is not an option. The ADD allows me to excel in high stress, multi-task environments. I would rather chew on tin foil then do what I am doing now…. I am going to work on finding a politically solvent manner to return to what I do best.

I absolutley appreciate your thoughts and experience! Everytime I read something in this site I have an “Ah Ha” moment. I just need to get my wife on here before she splits on me!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Munchkin- I wish they did for you guys there. It really has changed my life in such a positive way. Talk soon hopefully

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mentalchaos

Try introducing this website to your wife. I know its not the same but I did it for my gf of 7 months and she loves and is understanding me more and more. There are videos, books, and testomonials for spouses dealing with ADHD people.

Now about your work. I can see your sensitivity towards opening up with this. Personally I had the same problem with my friends and my teammates. I played varisty soccer for my university and having to tell my coach and teammates really set me back emotionally and affected my performance. This should not be somethign to hide. If i am hiding something than I am getting stressed out and i am not preforming at my ability.

I believe that you as a Senior Level officer should be able to talk with your boss and try and go back to your old job. Without letting him know you have ADHD right away, tell him you feel like you are more effective in that position and if there is anyway of going back to it. If you are alright with the pay cut from your job now than it shouldnt be a problem.

Now coming out with the disorder is a huge step. I recommend that you have a deep chat with yourself. Do you want hide it or embrace it. If you embrace and become ok with it than others will eventually accept it and be ok with it. If we continue to hide things like this than society will never accept it. At the same time I empathize with you and look forward to talking with you more. Have a good evening.

Colby O’Donnell

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. I am not sure what I am going to do yet, but I am definitely thinking about it. 🙄

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alright well Ill be kickin around here everyday if ya want to vent about it againhaha. Good luck Man

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alright well Ill be kickin around here everyday if ya want to vent about it againhaha. Good luck Man

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)