Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dear experts: Exercise and stimulant meds…any risks?

Dear experts: Exercise and stimulant meds…any risks?2013-04-05T16:35:56+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Dear experts: Exercise and stimulant meds…any risks?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

inattentivetype77

Hi there,

I’m hoping the good Dr J can weigh in on this with a little insight. I take Dexedrine to help manage my ADD and I’m also a runner. I usually run just 5-10k about 3 times a week. I know that stimulant meds create modest increases in blood pressure and heart rate.

My question is, are there any risks with intense cardio exercise while taking stimulant meds? If so, is it dose dependant? So far Dexedrine is working quite well for me (thankfully), but running also does a heck of a lot for my brain and my mood. So much so that I don’t know if the medication would work as well if I didn’t run for a period of time.

I know that exercise is important for ADDers (as it is for everyone). I also know that stimulant meds do have some cardiovascular risks. Just want to find a safe and effective way of using both.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

REPORT ABUSE

eddy416

I too also find that Dexedrine works well for me too. Even tho I also exercise a lot (6 to 8 hours mountain biking per week) my GP and I have lately found that it has negatively affected my blood pressure to the point where I am only taking standard dex. only when I need it for work or face taking meds for high BP. The same goes for Vyvanse. Is it not wise to take dex. on an as needed basis? I am a 47 yr old male.

Any thought Dr. J.?

REPORT ABUSE

justness

Can you take no meds with stimulants? I’m on vyvanse and it raises my Bo and brings my heart up to 115. The meds work great, but I stopped taking it because of my pulse 🙁 I don’t know what to do now.

REPORT ABUSE

justness

Oops. I meant can you take blood pressure meds while on stimulants?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Justness, here’s the dilemma. This site could really use more expert moderation. But doctors have be be EXTREMELY careful how they dispense advice. They operate under rigorous ethics rules. Were they to advise you to do something and your health went pear-shaped, there could be a… problem. That’s why, when it comes to prescription medication, you need to talk to your own doctor—who has your chart, knows your particular situation, can monitor your progress, etc.
    Still, I will tell you that, initially, my doctor prescribed BP meds and stimulants for me simultaneously. I gather that’s NOT uncommon. For what it’s worth.

REPORT ABUSE

justness

Thanks for sharing 🙂 I’m going to sit and talk with my doctor, just for now, trying to understand what my options may be, if any.  Hopefully I will find something that works for me! Thanks again!!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)