Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Decongestant for colds not good with stimulants any ideas

Decongestant for colds not good with stimulants any ideas2010-02-14T23:25:52+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Decongestant for colds not good with stimulants any ideas

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Bettyboo

Hello Dr J, I recently had a bad cold and went to my pharmasist who knows me well. I asked him for a decongestant and he said that it isn’t recommended if you are on stimulants. I took a nasel spray but honestly I suffered for 2 days…not sleeping and feeling congested. Is there another solution other than suffering? I’ll look at alternatives as in herbal teas, anything…I will add though that I do have high blood pressure (predisposed to it as I’m active, fit, eat well, stable family life only stress is running my own business). I’m presently on 72 mls of concerta…cold is gone now but don’t want to have to go through that again…any thoughts or recommendations please.

Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

nedi pot (sp?)….i think that’s what it’s called. i use nasonex for my allergies. i don’t take an antihistamine or decongestant anymore. try flushing your nose, it does help.

good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pseudoephedrine acts like a mild stimulant and can have an additive effect with someone relatively high doses as you are on, Elizabeth. Veronica is right in giving you some symptomatic support.

However, rest and lots of fluids is still the best remedy. Viral infections will eventually go if you flush them out.

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

Steam can help temporarily for head congestion. Take a steamy shower, try a sauna or even fill a bowl with boiling water, and put a towel over your head while putting your head over the bowl.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)