Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Denied ins. coverage to be tested bc of age?

Denied ins. coverage to be tested bc of age?2011-03-27T17:15:39+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Help! Denied ins. coverage to be tested bc of age?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am going through the process of getting tested for adhd and recently recieved notice from my insurance company telling me I got denied coverage because I am too old (33). Has anyone else gone through any of this before. I would love to know for sure from a professional but as of now I do not have the money to pay for the services already done let alone more visits?

Just wondering.

Thanks alot, Jay

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sorry to hear that’s happened to you. I’m even older than you and my insurance covered it. Then again, I got my diagnosis as part of a visit to my psychiatrist (who I was already seeing and had an established relationship with as far as my insurance coverage is concerned). I was seeing him for anxiety and depression–it was just happenstance that we ended up with the ADHD diagnosis.

I don’t know your situation, but I do know that sometimes the way the provider presents the situation to the insurance company can make a difference in whether or not they will pay.

For example: My internist was trying to figure out what was wrong with me and ordered a thyroid test. It got rejected by the insurance company because they didn’t consider it a “routine” lab test. As it turned out, the real problem was that my doctor failed to use the correct diagnosis code on the paperwork.

Once the doctor revised the code, the insurance covered the tests. It’s stupid, I know, but that’s the world in which we now live.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks alot brentitude. I am going to call my provider on Monday to talk with them. It is just so overwhelming doing all of this to get diagnosed. I have done the depression anxiety thing before, but it was always treated with medication that didnt work or seeing a social worker not a licenced therapest. Just like so many other people here I saw the documentary and it all made sense finally. I just thought I was an underachiever. Even finding someone to do the testing has been a challenge, it was really diffacult to get local information about testing and whatnot.

Hopefully I am on my way to getting help and it dosnt end up like all my other projects half finished!

Thanks again

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe the problem with the insurance is that you’re having the testing done by a provider other than your PCP?

I have been through the same process as you with regard to anxiety and depression, so I know how frustrating that can be.

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

Mystic Jay

I too was treated for anxiety and depression with Prozac and anxiety Zanax . It helped very little. It was only after I was diagnosed ADHD and given a perscibtion that the lights went on and the stress and anxiety dropped to about zero… Also I am not taking Prozac any more.

Most brain medication are site specific… Only trained DR’s specializing in the field should be consulted. If not you can get the snake oil/ 40 counceling answers.

Good Luck..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m completely off the sertraline (zoloft) and only take Ativan occasionally to help me sleep since starting ADHD meds.

I would recommend finding a psychiatrist or psychopharmacologist who is in your insurance network and make an appointment with them to be evaluated. It is not a lie to say that you are seeking help for anxiety and depression, but that you think your symptoms could be due to something else (ADHD) because past treatments have not provided you with relief from those symptoms.

I don’t think it’s an uncommon scenario for many mental health providers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am getting the testing done by a psychiatrist so hopefully now they will work with me to get help with the insurance thing. If not thats a really good idea to treat the anxiety and depression.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)