Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Deperate for an answer: Is there a correlation between hydrocephalus and ADHD?

Deperate for an answer: Is there a correlation between hydrocephalus and ADHD?2010-03-31T17:30:28+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Deperate for an answer: Is there a correlation between hydrocephalus and ADHD?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I was born my mom could not take me home from the hospital for 7 days. She was told I had “water on the brain” or “fluid on the brain” or “fluid on the soft spot”. I do not know what procedure was performed. She think she recallls them telling her spinal taps were done. Is there a direct correlation between ADHD and hydrocephalus? Is it possible there was neurological damage in that short of a period? I have requested release of medical information as of yesterday from the hospital, but they are doubtful they would have little more than a record of my birth. (As other medical reports would have been destroyed from that period unless I was transferred to the Childrens Hospital for the procedures).

Like most of the people here, I have spent my entire life (now 43) knowing there was something wrong with me. Always dismissing it and passing it off as my birth personality.

I started looking into ADHD for my daughter as she is having alot of problems. That is when I realized, that I am 100% sure, I suffer form ADHD. I have tried your tests and have scored very high in all categories. I have endlessly researched the internet for information on childhood ADHD and adult ADHD. I have been diagnosed with depression/anger and periodic bouts of anxiety in the past. I take Nardil(MAOI inhibitor) as I did not respond favourably to any other classes of anti-depressants.

From what I have read: to treat the other problems (ie depression, anxiety, etc), and to ignore the ADHD will never address the ADHD probem. To treat ADHD with medicine (it may very well clear up the other problems).

Am I correct in saying that Nardil works much the same as Adderall?

What does this statement mean?

“The dopamine connection……convincing clinical evidence of stimulant responsiveness (including self-medication with THC & cocaine).”

I interpret it as: people who may use THC & cocaine to calm all of the caos in their brain (block out surrounding noises and focus); may well respond to stimulant drugs like adderall. Am I correct? Please explain.

I am currently seeing my psychiatrist and have told her I suspect ADHD for daughter and myself. Should I be leary of her ability to diagnose my ADHD when my previous psychiatrist did not pick up on it? Should I ask how many cases of ADHD she has actually diagnosed? Or whether or not she has patients with ADHD? She has told me that there is a psychiatrist in our area that strictly deals with Adult ADHD? Do you think I should seek him out?

By the way, I am from the Halifax area. Maybe you could recommend a well-known Adult ADHD and Child ADHD psychiatrist.

I have to say I am terrified of being diagnosed with Adult ADHD. The effects of the medication sound very appealing in one way; but it is frightening to think I will be someone else unrecognizable to myself. For the past week I have had major anxiety and zero concentration at school thinking about becoming unrecognizable to myself. It is overwhelming. How does a person who is 43 deal with that? Depression, anger and anxiety can cause the same effects (being unrecognizable to one-self), I have felt this way before, and it can lead to sucidal thoughts.

Thank-you for your time, I am desperate for information.

Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

In regards to your hydrocephalus question, this website says that ADHD is a common learning disorder in children who have the condition.

http://www.patientcenters.com/hydrocephalus/news/learning_1.html

Whether that is what happened in your case or not, I don’t know if anyone can say.

As far as getting a diagnosis for your daughter goes, as a teacher, I was told to suggest to parents that are concerned about ADHD that get a referral to a Developmental Pediatrician. They have a wider scope than a Psychiatrist, and can do tests to rule out conditions like anemia that can look like ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your input. I did check out the link. Hoping the doctor may come on with some answers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are many reasons why hydrocephalus can occur and it doesn’t have to lead to brain injury. But, untreated, it can be an emergency and there can be significant problems on a global level. Any injury to the prefrontal area of the brain can look like ADHD. However, unlike real ADHD that is genetic, injury induced ADHD is very difficult to treat and often requires very high doses of meds to get an effect. The structural changes are more intractable and not just improper circuits.

Does hydrocephalus cause ADHD? NO.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)