Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dexedrine vs clonidine and guanfacine

Dexedrine vs clonidine and guanfacine2016-04-05T14:28:21+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Dexedrine vs clonidine and guanfacine

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

firechild

Hi guys. Dunno if this is the right place to post this. I’ve been on Dexedrine since 2004 and it’s worked wonders for me. I’ve never had to increase my dose past 30mg a day and I only take it on weekdays to help with focus at school and now work.

However in 2011 I went from a very active job to being a student again to getting an office job. As a result my weight ballooned from around 175 to nearly 230 pounds.

The reason I mention this is recently it’s been discovered I have very high blood pressure. This had never been an issue before and when my doctor use to test me when he gave me my meds I was always in the clear- hence why I think this issue is a result of the weight gain.

I see my doctor again next week to discuss this but I’m very worried he’s going to want me to go off Dexedrine. While of course I don’t want to die of a heart attack I also don’t see the benefits of low blood pressure if it results in my going back to the unstableness of mood/focus I had in my pre Dexedrine days.

I’ve been reading up and I found out there are some drugs that lower blood pressure that are also used to treat ADD- clonidine (Kapvay) and guanfacine (Intiuniv), which is calming me a bit.

But I’m wondering has anyone experienced both Dexedrine and one of these meds? Are they comparable? Did you find they provided the same level of treatment? All the stuff I read suggested that while these drugs help with some aspects of ADD they aren’t the same as dex and I’d hate to switch to another medication only to have it not be as helpful as the Dexedrine.

I know no one here is an actual medical doctor but I’d love any input anyone has on the subject. Meanwhile I am trying to treat my blood pressure the old fashioned way my increasing my activity levels (slowly but surely, I am notoriously lazy lol) and trying to address things like diet.

If just took me 24 years to find something that works and I’m scared at the idea of having to give it up.

Thanks
    -Firechild

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)