Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dexedrine works for me.

Dexedrine works for me.2010-12-08T05:03:33+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Dexedrine Dexedrine works for me.

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am taking Dexedrine 20 mgm spansules every morning and another 10 mgm at 1:00 pm. I find it has worked well for me over the years(20 years) however I find that I am starting to become more disorganized again and wonder if there would be something better for me to use? Has anyone tried Dexedrine and then changed to another medication?

REPORT ABUSE

Hoolee

I am prescribed Dexidrine as well, a med later introduced approximately two years after Ridlin failed to work and a reassessment suggested I still needed a medicine to help me. Unfortunately, I find that while it helps me stay alert and focused, it also keeps me awake at night, even when taken only in the morning. Because of this, I only use it when I have a deadline to meet and staying focused is essential to achieving the goal.

I am also bipolar and prone to hyper-manias which often find me unable to relax or to sleep properly. Thankfully, I seem to calm down after two or three days, (or rather, burn out). I will sometimes use the Dexidrine to help me stay alert and functional through the day after I have experienced a couple of restless/sleepless nights and can usually still go to bed early despite the otherwise usual effects that it has.

However, I recently returned to school with the goal to work from home, (a self-study that has taken me at least twice as long as the other students who attended the same time as me). Now working at home, I have found that I am better able to control the bipolar and ADD through routine and stress elimination as I can now mostly control my environment. I now have the ability to take the time to eat better, eliminate, or at least , minimalize stress, or simply avoid interactions where I know that I am feeling especially impulsive and/or emotional and might worry about saying too much, talking to fast, etc. I have mostly learned to recognize when I am “off” and working from home allows me the freedom to alter my schedule so that it accommodates my behaviour and allows me to work through it without causing any additional or unnecessary damage.

I don’t imagine I’d be able to avoid the Dexidrine as much as I can now if I were still working “on location” at some 40 hours/week job again though.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i agree dexadrine works for me too, but after many years of of just mediccation i find that i need more, so i am looking into congnitive behavioral therapy….

do you find it kills your appetitie. i dont even think about eating when i take my pills. have to force myself

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been taking Dexedrine for years and love it. I’ve tried many other medications and this one works the best. I don’t feel drugged up at all. I would highly consider trying it if you don’t like the medication you’re currently on.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been taking Dexedrine (or the generic, Dextroamphetamine) for about a year because Strattera got to be too expensive for me. I had to increase my dextro dose about 6 months into it, and feel like I could use even more. I don’t feel as focused as I was on Strattera, and sometimes still feel the ADD “frustration”. However, I am able to sleep and haven’t lost my appetite like I did on Strattera. Strattera also caused extreme dry mouth for me, which I haven’t heard anyone else mention.

All in all, dextro has worked quite well without any side effects for me. I think it’s so interesting to hear the varied responses that people with the same diagnosis have to the same meds. Can anyone explain this?

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

Sarge-

I’ve experienced a bit of the dry mouth with Strattera (it doesn’t bother me that much), as well as appetite suppression. As I’m trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, the second issue is not a biggie for me :-) Can I ask if you had any other side effects with it?

I’ve been experiencing the urine retention/low flow and sexual timing side effects, as well as occasional pain down in my “package”. I found a way to almost completely eliminate the last problem, and if I could take care of just one of the other 2 side effects I think I’d be happy staying on these meds while I get my life together, so to speak.

My brother, who has also been diagnosed with ADD, saw benefits from both Ritalin and Dexedrine. I, on the other hand, noticed almost no benefit from either of these meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Turbo,

Dry mouth was a real problem for me because I am a teacher and spend most of my day talking to people. I resolved myself to having a bottle of water in hand constantly because I was so much better at my job being on it. The other real issue I had was that I’d wake up at 3 AM, sometimes earlier, with my mind racing. I usually got up and just did some work, which usually was very productive…but I wasn’t getting enough sleep. I did have some libido issues, but my husband and I were able to resolve those by being creative :) Being a woman, I did not have any of the other physical issues that you have experienced.

For me, the loss of appetite was a concern because I am considered “underweight” already. I normally have a very healthy appetite and have always been able to eat a lot because my metabolism is very high. I just had to force myself to eat for the first couple of weeks on Strattera, and my appetite eventually returned.

I worked with the side effects because it was worth the benefits of being able to focus and get organized for the first time ever. I am curious about how long you’ve been using Strattera, and if the side effects will eventually subside, as the appetite loss did for me. I would talk to my doctor about the pain, though.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

drakeadonian

Dexie quick release 40 mg daily(8- 5mgers/day)seems like alot but I wouldnt switch it for the world.I have tried every1 and dexies are clean by comparison.The only drawback is that I need 2000 calories a day just to maintain my weight and that ofsets only my meds then I need calories to live! lol

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)