Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dexedrine XR experiences?

Dexedrine XR experiences?2013-06-08T18:24:08+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Dexedrine Dexedrine XR experiences?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Sugar_Shane

I’m with a reputable psychiatrist in my area who seems to really know what he is doing, and is the expert around my parts apparently.

He is slowly moving me up on regular Dexedrine (lasts like 4 hours) and he says once we find the right dosage he is going to put me on Dexedrine Spanules that last 8 hours 2x a day.

That seems like a little longer than I need as it would be late at night and probably when i’m sleeping when the last dosage would wear off.

So i’m wondering for those who have/are used/using this how long it lasts for you and if it effects your sleep at all.

Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Sugar_Shane, these are definitely things to discuss with your doctor.  And do try to be open to trying what he suggests.  Remember, the only way to find what meds & dose work for you is through medically-supervised trial and error.  So by trying the long-acting Dexadrine twice a day, you might discover better symptom control than you currently have.

On the other hand, you may find that it hasn’t worn off enough for you to get to sleep at night.  In that case, maybe one long-acting capsule early in the morning, and a regular pill when it wears off, might work better for you.

If you already have sleep issues, then you might want to ask your doctor about this combination.

REPORT ABUSE

Sugar_Shane

Ugh. Took 1 1/2 5 (mg?) tabs 3x around each meal. Went to bed at 11:00pm took a while to fall asleep woke up at 2:30am and couldn’t go back to sleep until after 6am.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Sugar_Shane, do you keep a med. journal during the trial and error process?  If not, you really need to.

Each day, enter the med, dose, and times, and any effects you notice.  Also note any contributing factors, such as a good day, a fight with your spouse, etc., because these will also have an effect on how you feel.

This is the only way you’ll be able to remember how the med worked each day, so you and your doctor can determine whether something has to be adjusted.

Also, remember that it can take a week or more for your body to adjust to any changes in your meds regimen, so try to follow your doctor’s orders for at least another few days.  If you’re still having trouble sleeping, call your doctor for advice.

Do you follow a bedtime routine to wind down for sleep?  It really helps to do this.

REPORT ABUSE

phoenixmagicgirl

I take 3 10mg capsules every morning. If I take it say after 8am I have trouble sleeping. my dosage lasts 12 hours. It took me years of trial and error to get the timing right so I didn’t get insomnia, of course I figured this all out this past year..go figure! LOL! It’s a process of finding what works for you…I hope that this has helped some.

REPORT ABUSE

Sugar_Shane

Does taking Dexedrine four hours before bed sound crazy to anyone else?

My psych told me today it should be in my system until 1/2 hour after i go to bed.

I was on 1 1/2 5mg tab a couple days ago (titration phase) and we decided to go back to 1mg 3x a day with last dose at 3ish. While on the 1 1/2 5mg with my last dose at 4pm i had the worst night “sleep” ever (as you’ve read above).^

Now i’m back on 1 5mg 3x a day and he wants me to add an additional 5m around 7pm. Doesn’t that sound counter-intuitive?

REPORT ABUSE

Sugar_Shane

anyways here i am at 10:28 pm with inflamtion and pain in my left arm and chest again.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)