Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dexidrine Not Working & Strange Eating Symptom

Dexidrine Not Working & Strange Eating Symptom2013-07-13T20:09:02+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Dexidrine Not Working & Strange Eating Symptom

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

honda

I have been taking Dexedrine capsules for about a year.  It worked just great when I first started, now it doesn’t work at all, I even upped the dose, (40 mg) and still doesn’t work.  The only other medication I tried was Ritalin, and that did absolutely nothing.

I have noticed that after eating breakfast in the morning I feel real groggy, followed by an awful brain fog, and have to lie down until it passes (couple of hours).   I am alright, and alert until I eat.  This happens with the first meal of the day whether I take it in the morning or  afternoon. The medication instructions state that I can take it with or without food, so I tried taking Dexedrine with my breakfast, and got exact the same reaction.  Whether I take it with or without food it no longer works for me.

Dexedrine gives so many people a big high that it is now a street drug, yet it does nothing for me.  I must have a very different brain.  Wish I knew what is going on in my head.

Anyway I asked my doctor about this, and he also doesn’t know.  Just speculation no clear answers.  I took the opportunity of asking him if I could try a different medication.   Well he discouraged me, and told me the other ADD medications are very expensive.  He also mentioned that this drug is being sold on the street.  Maybe he thinks that I am doing that.  Well If I am trying to sell Dexedrine on the street why am I asking to try a different medication.  I can assure you that I have never sold or bought drugs on the street.  I don’t drink, smoke or am I addicted to any substance.

Want to take appropriate right steps in handling this situation.  Should I try other Add medications?  What is the best way to deal with a reluctant doctor?  Do you people out there have any good ideas, suggestions or advice?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Honda, it sounds like you and your doctor might both benefit from watching the “Medications” series of videos here: http://totallyadd.com/medications.

These unbiased videos have the most current, unbiased information about the various medications, including the neurobiology of how they work.

Remember, Adult ADHD is still a fairly new field, and there’s a lot of misinformation and media hype about “dangerous drugs”.  Your doctor’s response to your concerns about Dexedrine suggests that perhaps he doesn’t feel comfortable with his own level of expertise and feels extra cautious about making a mistake.  This is understandable.

Have you read Rick’s latest Blog (http://totallyadd.com/can-you-lend-me-one-of-your-pills/)?  It’s about the way that the abuse of ADHD meds by people who have no business taking them, has made things so much harder for the people who genuinely need them, and whose lives are hard enough as it is.

To use an analogy…

Right now, there are a lot of people who are choosing to use motorized mobility scooters, even though they don’t genuinely need them.  This unnecessary reliance leads to obesity and muscle atrophy, and eventually an inability to walk.  The less active you are, the more health problems you will develop.  These now-“disabled by choice” people will require extra healthcare & specialized transportation services…increasing the demand for medical services, and increasing the costs to everyone.

Can you imagine what would happen if governments were to pass laws requiring everyone who wants a scooter to go to the doctor for a prescription, which is only good for 30 days, must be taken to a pharmacy for validation, must be refilled in person each month, and it’s a felony if you’re caught using a scooter without your own valid prescription?

The outcry at this discrimination against the physically disabled just because a relatively few non-disabled people are abusing scooters, would be huge!  So, why is it okay to do this to people who have ADHD, which is also recognized as a disability, under the law?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Honda, I may have a possible reason for that “brain fog” you have after eating your first meal of the day.

Have you ever been tested for Diabetes?

Long before I even suspected I had ADHD, I developed Type 2 Diabetes.  For a couple of years before that, I’d eat breakfast and quickly become so tired, I’d fall asleep on the couch for an hour or two.  I also developed an insatiable thirst, and was constantly guzzling water.

My genetics, lousy eating habits, and almost total lack of activity set me up for Diabetes.  Being on antidepressants (most of which list “elevated blood-sugar” among their side effects) lit the fuse.

Dexedrine is known to affect blood-sugar levels, and blood-sugar affects brain-functioning. So, you need to talk to your doctor about this, ASAP.

REPORT ABUSE

honda

I was tested for diabetes quite some time ago, and there was no sign of it.  The last time I saw my doctor a couple of weeks ago my blood pressure was really good, absolutely nothing to worry about.  I am also active, as I go for a brisk one hour walk just about every day.  Lately I have noticed that I am way more tired, and thirstier than usual, and I am also taking an anti depressant.

I think you made some very good points, and I am seriously mulling over them in my mind.  It is just that I am reluctant to apporch my doctor if I am not sure that there is something wrong.  I have already talked to him about the groggy, sleepy, brain fog symptoms.  He doesn’t know what is causing them but he thinks I am just fine.  If one goes to the doctor too often, without what the doctor considers is a not a good reason he begins to view you as a hypochondriac, and if that happens he doesn’t take what you say very seriously.

I am going to make up my mind up about this one way or the other.   In the mean time do you think it is possible for a person to have diabetes if one has a good healthy blood pressure, and is active?  Perhaps the tiredness, thirst and foggy brain is due to something else like the reaction to the all the medications I am taking.  I exercise regularly, but some days I am more tired than usual, and then other days I am ok.  I know you are not a doctor, and I am not asking you for a diagnose.  Just want your layman’s opinion.

By the way you write very well and I like reading your posts.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Honda, thanks for the compliment about my writing!

It’s quite possible to be very active, and have normal blood pressure, but still develop Diabetes.  It recently happened to my dad, who has been healthy & very active for most of his life.

If you’re taking meds that can increase blood-sugar, symptoms can come on suddenly.  Maybe they were developing over time, unbeknownst to you—especially if Diabetes runs in your family.

The tiredness and thirstiness are signs of potential hyper-glycemia (high blood-sugar), especially if you’re also urinating a lot.  This is because your body is unable to process & absorb the glucose that your food is converted into.  All that glucose builds up in your bloodstream, and your body desperately tries to flush it out through your kidneys, which go into over-drive.  This demands huge amounts of water, hence the constant thirst.

Have you noticed any unexplained weight-loss recently?  Or sweet/fruity-smelling breath?  Those can be warning signs, too.

Hyper-glycemia is a very serious issue, as it could lead to diabetic shock, coma, ketoacidosis, organ-damage, nerve-damage, gum-disease (because of chronic dry-mouth), or even death.  So this isn’t something to put-off, just because you don’t want your doctor to think you’re a hypochondriac.

If you still have qualms about talking to your doctor about it, at least talk to your pharmacist and see if they can do a quick finger-prick blood-sugar test.  Or if they think you should talk to your doctor about possible blood-sugar issues with the meds you’re taking.

If it turns out you’re just experiencing hyper-glycemia because of the meds, then it may be as simple as adjusting them or switching at least one of them to a med that doesn’t increase blood-sugar.  Or, you may need to add Metformin to help your body process the extra blood-sugar.  Or maybe you just need to drink more water, when you’re exercising in the heat.

Whatever it is, your body is telling you that something is not right.  You need to look into this, before it becomes more serious!

REPORT ABUSE

honda

I went to a walk-in clinic last week, and had a blood test done on a whole lot of things including diabetes.  I got a call from the doctor’s receptionist the next day stating that I have a low haemoglobin count, and that every thing else is just fine.  In other words I am anaemic.  My regular doctor is on holidays, so I now have to wait until he comes back in August.  I need to know what is causing the anaemia, and what to do about it.

Well that explains the tiredness, but it still doesn’t explain why I go into this groggy stoper after eating breakfast.  I have to lay down for a couple of hours before it passes.  Both doctors said I have a very strange symptom, but neither doctor seemed concerned, nor did they want to explore it any further.  FRUSTRATING, I wonder if they think it is psychological.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Honda, it’s a good thing you saw the doctor!

At least now you have some idea of what’s going on.  Did your doctor recommend an Iron supplement?  Or B-Vitamins?

I don’t know about Dexedrine, but I do know that Methylphenidate (Concerta, Ritalin, etc.) can often cause an Iron deficiency, because it’s caused one in me.  My doctor has me taking Ferrous Fumarate (Iron), Omega 3-6-9, and Vitamin B12 supplements, and they seem to be helping.

I also have to start my day with a high-protein breakfast (I actually have “lunch” for breakfast), and eat some protein every few hours.  This really helps get—and keep—my brain going.

Last week, I had a Continental Breakfast (bread, pastries, fruit) for the first time in ages, and I was amazed at how I just couldn’t get going, and my tail was dragging all day long.

We ADDers sure need our protein!

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

Good info.

I didn’t know Ritalin could cause Iron deficiency. I’ve started taking a multivitamin which includes iron along with fish oil daily.

I agree with the morning protein. I feel much better throughout the day if I have a good protein breakfast. Bread, pancakes, pastries, sweet cereals are not my friends. I need to try the protein intake between meals to see what that does.

@Honda, Way to be proactive. I need to get into a Doc just to make sure my engines running right. Just don’t spend too much time on WebMD. Talk about an anxiety creating website. Let us know how things go.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)