Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dexrtoamphetamine and Alcohol

Dexrtoamphetamine and Alcohol2011-04-06T17:11:08+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Dexedrine Dexrtoamphetamine and Alcohol

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK .. Does anyone know the effects of drinking alcohol while taking dextroamphetamine. I am taking 20 mg Celexz and 5mg dext .. What effect will a couple of beers have. I have been told that the alcohol cancels the Celexa but that is all I know for now.

REPORT ABUSE

JOATMON

Contact your doctor – he can tell you if it is safe.

The alcohol does not cancel the Celexa, but (in my experience) makes the side effects worse. I have never taken Dex so I am in no position to give advice, but, Dex is a stimulant, alcohol is a depressant, so, given that, I would think you would be cancelling out any benefit the Dex might bring to you. Do be careful though, some medications mixed with alcohol can cause siezures.

Jack of all trades, master of none… 🙄

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Rich1 – hate to be a downer, but if I were you, i’d lay off the booze for awhile until your system has time to adjust to the medication. Then talk to your doctor about it most definitely. If the dex is making you want a “relaxant” maybe the dosage is too high. I know I take citalopram which is the generic Celexa and my script says “avoid alcohol” Also, Joatmon is right, alcohol is a depressant and Celexa is an anti-depressant. I would use this time to let the meds take effect, Use the boost you get from the dex to form new habits,….I mean isn’t that why you’re doing this in the first place? After a few weeks when you go back to see your doc, then you can ask about it….I’m guessing they’ll tell you no alcohol, at least for a while. :)

REPORT ABUSE

BabafredDenandenanda

I take Dexedrine and **occasionally** enjoy a pint. Now, my dosage of Dex is quite low (10 or 15mg) and I also take it once a day in the morning, and, obviously, I don’t usually consume alcohol until the evening; so it’s quite possible the dex has passed out of my system by that point anyway; however I have not had any bad results.

However, I did exercise extreme caution when I first began taking it. I stayed away from the alcohol until I was used to the dexedrine, and as well, the first time I did enjoy a drink, I made sure I had trusted family and friends around to watch for any adverse effects.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)