Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Diagnosed 3 weeks ago..anxious about taking meds

Diagnosed 3 weeks ago..anxious about taking meds2015-04-26T13:29:51+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? Diagnosed 3 weeks ago..anxious about taking meds

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mikemon

My regular doc thought originally I might have been depressed and have anxiety.  So she gave me lexapro, sonata , and xanax when the sonata didn’t knock me out.  But all the that didn’t help me with my symptoms.

I finally went to a psychiatrist about 3 weeks ago.  After a long session of explaining of everything .. She thinks I have mild Add Pi.. My procrastination is horribly off the charts.. I could sit there all day thinking about stuff instead of doing what I need to.  I get sidetracked so bad it’s not even funny when i should be doing work.

Psychiatrist helped me get my sleep back on track with some melatonin.  Then she prescribed me 40mg of Vyvanse and it’s been on my counter for 3 weeks..lol Because I I just procrastinate about taking my med until it’s too late in the day to take it.  Then I start to worry about side effects…and this just a vicious circle every day.

I just need that push to take my meds and not worry so much about the side effects..anyone have any advice?

My energy levels are all over the place. And I can study some days efficiently for 30-40 minutes and then the next day I can’t do anything.  My brain feels like a flickering light bulb and I can’t chose when it’s on or off.

REPORT ABUSE

Cassatt

Regarding the meds – (your psychiatrist would not have prescribed them if she didn’t think they would help.)

Whose decision was it to try Vyvanse?

What is really stopping you from taking the meds?

What changes could you make in your daily routine that would make it easier to think to take the meds at an appropriate time?

REPORT ABUSE

mikemon

Psych was the one who suggested vyvanse.  She said since I’ve never taken anything before it’s like taking a shot in the dark( which med will work for me). And being that it’s long acting I wouldn’t have to remember to take pills during the day.  She said it’s pretty gently compared to other meds and pretty well tolerated..40 mg seemed like it was kinda high.  I’m 5’8 185

I guess what’s really keeping me from taking them is the sides effects. I’m a fairly active person(working out/running).  I’m mostly worried about the appetite suppression and insomnia and crashes when it’s wearing affecting my activities .  Do those go away with time?

She came up with the idea for me to make a basic schedule to follow everyday so I keep on track.  The melatonin helped shift my sleep schedule back to normal.  Instead of me sleeping at 5am.  Now i’m sleeping at 2am the latest and up at 9-9:30am.  I’m getting up at a good time compared to before.

Sorry for the rambling

REPORT ABUSE

lindsey3

Hi Mikemon, I am only twelve weeks into taking meds for ADHD – for the first month I took them 5 days on / 2 days off, because I was nervous about full time influence, and I wanted to compare the difference of with and without from the start. My Doctor then stressed the importance of daily meds within a routine, and that I should do this for at least 6 months before introducing any changes. So I left with my tail between my legs, but immediately got into a daily routine and although I am still monitoring, am definitely beginning to feel an accumulated benefit – motivation, energy and concentration are all improved, so I am achieving a little more each day which is making me feel better about myself…and so the beginning of a more positive cycle is emerging.

If you can at this point, set yourself a goal of a meds routine, and just take them without too much inner argument. Doing this in someway says ‘you know what, I do need help, and this is the beginning of ….. fill in this space.

These days are the beginning of the rest of your life. It’s not easy, but you can do this.

x

REPORT ABUSE

mikemon

Thanks Lindsey.  I think you’re right and I’m going to set a goal for thursday, and just take it as soon as I wake up.

I’ve been drinking coffee and all it does is give me some energy for an hour and some anxiousness then boom it’s gone.  So I hope the Vyvanse will be nice and smooth all day.

Any other tips?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hi @mikemon, welcome to the forum. 🙂

*this is really long, just to give you fair warning*

First of all, it’s very difficult to give advice about medication because everyone is different. What works for one person will not work for another.

It sounds to me like you have a good psychiatrist who understands how the medications work. Not all doctors do. Many will try to tell you that one med is better than another, or that there is no point in trying different meds and stuff like that. But like I said, everyone is different, and all the meds are different too.

Vyvanse is probably a good choice to start with because it is easier to remember to take it when it’s just once a day and it is, in a way, more gentle as she said. As a general rule slow release meds are the best choice because they prevent the ups and downs that you can get with the faster acting meds.

In my opinion, 40 mg is just a little bit high for a first dose, but it’s actually not that bad. Most people seem to start at 30 mg. I started at 20. If you are worried about how you might react, you can actually go as low as 10 mg to start with and increase gradually. You do this by breaking open the capsules and mixing the contents with water.

This article will explain it better:

http://www.corepsych.com/2013/12/vyvanse-dosage-strategies-for-adhd-medication-accuracy/

Never mind your weight and height. In this case, it has nothing to do with the dosage. What may affect it is your metabolism. Generally speaking, if you have a fast metabolism, it may not last as long, because of the way it works, through your digestive system.  You can find more info on the Core Psych site. Dr. Parker is very knowledgeable and helpful.

You may want to avoid coffee and other caffeinated beverages, or at least cut back on the amount you normally drink, at least for awhile.  Some people find that the combination of the two is a bit too much. But if you find you are slumping a bit later in the day, when it starts to wear off, a cup of coffee might help. (Again, everyone is different)

Give it time to work. It will take a few weeks to really know how it affects you and might take months to find the right dosage. Don’t be afraid to try other meds if the Vyvanse doesn’t do it for you. You can also add other meds to the Vyvanse if you need to. (I now take 5 mg of Dexamphetamine with my Vyvanse and find it works much better that way.)

Finally, don’t rule out depression/anxiety completely unless you are certain. They often go hand in hand with ADHD and you may need treatment for them as well.

And remember that the medication won’t solve all your problems. It will just make it easier for you to solve them. I am also a terrible procrastinator, and that hasn’t changed after 1 1/2 years on meds. If you choose to sit and think, that’s what you will do. You’ll just be more focused on what you are thinking about than you ever were before and be able to think about it for a much longer period of time. You need to develop some strategies to help you to change your behaviour. Get any support you can get from friends, family, or even a therapist or coach if you can afford it.

Okay, I think that’s enough. At least for now. 😉

REPORT ABUSE

mikemon

Thanks Blackdog! really appreciate all the advice and I feel a little more comfy now knowing I can’t take half a dose.

I called up my psych and asked her about a lower dose and she told me 40mg is usually what she gives kids.  She said not to get stuck on 40mg looking like it’s a high dose because vyvanse doesn’t get stronger with higher doses.  She said it just lasts longer with the higher dosages.

But yea I’m going to work with my family and to figure out a game plan on how to stay on track with study habits and work.  Because once I fall off even if it’s a day then I go back to my old bad habits of doing nothing productive.

I’m not ruling out depression but psych said i don’t come off as depressed.  And as far as the anxiety goes.  I only get it at night time when I try and go to sleep.  Basically it’s me worrying about work/study that I didn’t finish or get to that night and how it’s going to pile up the next day.  Then it plays over and over in my head and I have trouble going to sleep.

Thanks again Blackdog for the support!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)