Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Diagnosed a few months ago…

Diagnosed a few months ago…2012-01-16T17:15:33+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story Diagnosed a few months ago…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

smiliest

Hi! I am new here and wanted to tell my story- but I will bullet point it so it’s not boring for you guys to read. Lol…

I’m 33

I’m a married, mother-of-one and work full-time as a lawyer.

I was finally diagnosed in October after 6 months of weekly therapy with a pdoc.

My whole life makes sense to me now- the impulsivity, the excessive talking, interrupting, blurting out, the anxiety, the low grade depression and self-esteem issues, the rage blasts and mood swings, the sadness and never fitting in, the alcoholism (sober almost 10 years) and eating disorders, the addictive tendencies, the overwhelming restlessness and boredom with almost everything… the feeling like something was ‘off’…

I never thought I could have this- because I was a high performer in school… but I didn’t realize how hard I was working to hold it together… If I wasn’t bright- I would never have pulled it off- since all of my good work was late at night on the day before something was due when I had adrenaline coursing through me…

Have been on Ritalin now (10 mgs twice daily) for about a week and the differences in my mood alone is PROFOUND. So I didn’t have to live like this all these years?

I feel like I am free. I am enjoying being me in the first time in years.

:)

REPORT ABUSE

smiliest

Just wanted to give an update…

I was loving my meds for a few months…changed to concerta (36 mg, then 54 mg)… but then… I got pregnant! This was happy news- my husband and I had been trying for 2 years (which is another depressing tale).

Anyway- I am off my meds and back in my ADHD fog + I am hormonal = ROUGH.

I can’t wait to have this baby in November- and I am so excited to get back on my meds… I am picturing a serene and happy maternity leave- although- let’s face it- I am never going to be Martha Stewart… ha ha.

I’ve been struggling this pregnancy- but I am so thrilled to be having another child and I just try to keep sight of that. I am brutal at work these days- hyperfocusing on pregnancy, childbirth, babies… UGGG.

Any other pregnant ADHD people out there? How did you manage your symptoms while pregnant- aside from high protein diet, staying active and getting rest? Any tips? did any of you stay medicated?

Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi – don’t know how I missed your first post! I am glad the meds worked out well.

I can’t give you any advice unfortunately – just wanted to say congratulations!!

:)

REPORT ABUSE

smiliest

Thank you very much!

I appreciate that!

:D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Read your first post and laughed because that was me, I did that too! Never did Ritalin (mis-diagnosis), and never pregnant (congrats).

I am seeking to use my affliction to my advantage rather than use medication. I have no specific advice except breaking the problem down into smaller parts may provide insight into tools or methods that may be appropriate. AA has HALT, the things to avoid, that’s always a good start.

David

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Smiley……glad to have you on-board!! Law degree, family in progress…….all good stuff. Your brief “my life in a nut shell” says a lot. Typically ADDers are stimulus seeking missiles that’s true and while yes that can be problematic, it can also be your ticket to a very exciting and stimulating life. There are so many attributes or…….consequences to ADD….it really depends on where you fall on the spectrum. Harnessing your traits whatever they may be… can produce amazing results….it’s not always easy, but then many things in life that bring great rewards are only achieved through dedication and hard work!!!

Your Law degree tells a lot…not an easy road by any means but…..there you have it!!! You did it….all to your credit!!! Law is in my estimation a fantastic occupation for ADDers….perfect for the high speed ADDer brain processing!! In my career I was a Policy Analyst also well suited to my ADD brain. Any occupation that requires the ability to see multiple alternate views and possibilities in an instant, is right up our alley.

As for social issues, those issues can often be managed, although sometimes it takes professional assistance to get them under control….things like instant escalation of anger, joy, dismay, the excessive emotions…..all often happen for us a light speed, taking us and others by surprise…..but with proper guidance we can learn to see those situations developing from off in the distance and that ability to see them coming allows us to mitigate and manage those lightning responses and bring them down a manageable level….even turn them (in time) into attributes!!!

I know not everybody with ADD is in that boat…..some struggle and struggle in ways that I feel for, and feel very deeply…..but there are others, maybe like your self who may be able to manage our attributes/consequences and turn them into a very exiting rewarding life!!!

This is a good spot to be, good for the heart…..there are many many ADD types that belong to this little community, some struggle but….some fly!!! Regardless, it’s good place no matter where you are on the spectrum.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

LOVE your post and what has followed it. What a fantastic thread! Love your user name too.

I can relate to SO much of what you say. Congratulations on the pregnancy. And congratulations on finding out about the ADD and getting treatment.

I’m on concerta, 27mg and I think I might be able to drop back down to 18mg as I feel very good. Free, like you say.

I’m seeing the positives about myself much more now – my ability to see the wider picture, my enquiring mind, the enthusiasm and dedication I put into everything I want to do and my quick action in a crisis. I’m proud of getting through my studies and taking tentative steps, at 40, into a completely new career. I’m proud of the way my husband and I make our relationship work (aspie and ADHD) and I’m proud of our fantastic kids. I can see now that I did so much of this without help for my ADHD and, although my life would have been MUCH easier, happier and less chaotic with the help – hell – I got through it and that ain’t bad.

I have had the privilege of hearing Temple Grandin lecture twice this week and I think of the obstacles she’s overcome and it’s humbling. Truly. Talk about freedom. She was locked in her own world and her mum refused to let her stay there and somehow got through to her. At every stage, her mum pushed her that little bit further to step out of her comfort zone and that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. The autism (enough for ‘experts’ to want her to go straight to an ‘institution’) has never left her. But she’s been able to harness it in a positive way for her and I’m finding that maybe my drugs are helping me do the same.

So, freedom brings more freedom and I’ll keep walking through the new doors and see where they take me!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wonderful news about your pregnancy. Congratulations Smiliest. The happy hormones should be kicking in soon and work will be a breeze. I was drug free for my two pregnancies and found that once I hit my second trimester I felt so calm and relaxed while everyone around me was rushed and stressed. I had the biggest work project of my life during my first pregnancy and pulled it off really well…and still had time for hyperfocusing on fun baby stuff, like researching Scandanavian baby names. You just wont care soon…love those happy hormones.

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

don’t really have anything to add in the way of advice except remember all you accomplished before you went on meds, and also remember people tend to cut you more slack when you are preggie. soooooo, relax and enjoy! :) congrats to you and your family!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow Tid….you got to see Temple Grandin……I have seen the movie a number of times and watch it every chance I get….fabulous story!!!

I bet the lecture was……amazing…..that is too cool….it only goes to show…..

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)