Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Diagnost at 40 years old

Diagnost at 40 years old2011-07-29T14:32:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story Diagnost at 40 years old

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was the silent child that every teacher wanted in there class but I wasn’t there. I was daydreaming and shy. My life beetween then and my fourthies as been hell. I recently had my 23 years old son critic me that he lost confidence in me a long time ago. That’s making me so sad… 😥

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

I obviously don’t know the situation completely, but as for your son, that’s very sad. Hopefully, when he has his own children, he’ll come around. It’s pretty normal for your 23 year old to be pushing in his own direction, and away from you, right now. Still, doesn’t take the sting out of it.

Personally, with my kids, I’m looking less forward to the early twenties than I am to the teens. I’m very afraid. Some older women told me that all kids tell you they hate you at that age. It just sounds like a crushing experience that I just don’t want to go through.

Lucky for us late identified ADDers (I’m 39, turning 40 in Sept. and officially diagnosed this past year), I’ve been told life begins at 40. It’s never too late to turn things around, as we are only about half-way done. This is a great site for helping with that.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Lunatique, hang in there. I have ADD (diagnosed this year at 37), and I suspect my mom does too. I’ve been lucky not to say everything I’m thinking, but the emotional nature of ADD, combined with the blurting, means people with ADD can do more damage in less time than normal folks.

When I’m in an argument, it’s very tempting to get in that zinger, even if it’s not true. I’ve thought some horrible things (even said them on occasion) to get the upper hand in an argument. Having ADD means you don’t see the impact of those words until it’s too late. If your son has ADD, maybe he just let one slip past the filter.

Hang in there. Knowing about your ADD is much better than not knowing. Your life can only improve. I agree with Geoduck, this site has been a lifesaver for me.

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

(((HUGS)))

Sorry your son said such a hurtful thing to you.

Are you newly diagnosed? I’m 46 and just-diagnosed myself. And, like you, teachers loved to have me in class – never acted up, was always too busy daydreaming. Very shy, yet eager to please. Congrats on solving the puzzle, and please let us know how you’re doing!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)