Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Diet and fluid intake

Diet and fluid intake2011-04-21T19:08:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Diet and fluid intake

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone have some experiences to offer about foods and fluid intake, i.e. what helped, what didn’t, what to get more of and what to avoid? My doctor told me that I would experience decrease in appetite and that has not really happened (I’m on 54 mg Concerta) but I am craving sweets and my teeth feel on edge. Crunchy, flavourful foods tend to relieve the teeth edge and I am doing crunchy cereal, celery, carrots, cookies, chips, etc. I am supposed to wear a night guard but it is cracked and because I can’t afford to replace it I am using one of those boil and bite guards which at least helps to keep my teeth apart while I sleep.

I also seem to go for long periods forgetting to drink water and then gulping down large amounts.

I am also drinking coffee in the morning, sometimes three or four cups a day, though I try not to go over two, which is so difficult to give up.

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

I am on Adderall XR and my appetite has diminished considerably while it is active. That being said, I find I have to ensure I remember to drink or else my eyes feel dry and strained. You could try switching to decaf as all that caffeine on top of the stimulant meds can’t be good for you. I was only on Concerta for three days (it made me feel tired) so I can’t comment on that one. I did find that I needed to up my water intake with the Concerta for the same reason as the Adderall.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, drink, drink, drink lots of water especially on stimulants. Reduce the caffeine if you can. That adds an extra “boost” that you shouldn’t have or need right now. I was on Adderall XR and would still be on it, if I had drank more water. I miss the Adderall, but can’t take it anymore because I did what you are doing: forgot to drink water and drank 2-3 cups of coffee so meds got too concentrated in my bladder and I ended up with Interstitial Cystitis: i.e.: little holes in the bladder lining: VERY PAINFUL… so water is key.

I also had diminished appetite for awhile, but then it leveled out. I needed to lose a couple of pounds anyway so it didn’t bother me.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

I’m on Concerta, 27 mg, and have noticed a decrease in appetite during the day. I think that’s pretty typical. My son takes 36 mg and usually doesn’t get hungry until he’s coming down, at around 10:30 – 11:00 pm, so I have to remind him to eat. There’s probably a lot to be said for eating on a schedule, but hey, I wouldn’t know….

You might try eating protein when you crave sugar. I’ve experimented with a low-glycemic diet and it turns out I’m much mellower if I avoid the sugar and other processed/refined carbs. Protein keeps my energy levels and moods more even throughout the day. Plus, if I go without sugar for a while, I lose my taste for it – even a piece of fruit seems excessively sweet. Keeping my caffeine intake to two cups a day helps – so I don’t get that late afternoon brain crash.

Other dietary stuff I’ve heard of but not implemented includes: Omega 3s, preferably from food, Vitamin D because in the northern hemisphere most of us don’t get enough, B-complex vitamins, anti-oxidants – fish, dark green or yellow veggies. And if you have trouble sleeping, it’s supposed to be good to have foods like milk, bananas, or turkey late at night.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I’ve heard about eating protein with Concerta/Adderall (stimulants) etc. as well. It helps to regulate the meds better throughout the day because protein doesn’t absorb into the body as quickly as carbs do.

Don’t forget to drink water.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)