Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Diet question?

Diet question?2010-07-17T22:17:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Diet question?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw a comment in a post responce about Adders craving empty calories. Try as I might I can’t find it again (there is getting to be a lot of info here now! and my eyes kinda glaze over wading through it). Does anybody remember this (or better yet wrote it)? Not looking for justification of over snacking, just tring to put together the puzzel that is me.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

I know for me it is probably part of the impulse control of ADD – usually happens at night when I have down time. I also tend to have a drink or two from time to time in the evening when I am wired, probably not the best habit to foster either. I think when we find ousrselves doi ng something we know is not productive whether it is dietary or otherwiose … we need to at least first take a look that it might be the ADD talking and try and restrain and refrain at least for a while to see if the impulse passes. My two cents

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tend to think that our impulsiveness just ‘lets’ our hands grab that delicious looking treat (chips, chocolates, burgers, whatever) without a second thought. We crave it, we grab it, we eat it! It’s that simple. Mind you, I think the rest of North America has the same problem, whether they’re ADD or not.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

The worst thing is that, as a Type-2 diabetic, I know that I REALLY shouldn’t be eating those things, but I find the cravings irresistible, especially in the late afternoon, and into the evening and night. Part of it is definitely the reduced impulse-control mechanism. But part of it is also that those carbs cause the brain to release feel-good hormones, which calm us down.

I usually try to substitute fruit for candy, and popcorn for cheesies, but sometimes, dammit, I need the real thing!

The strange thing is, before starting on ADHD medication, I really craved things like ice cream, cheesecake, and tiramisu. Since being on the medication, I’m completely off those things, and more interested in salty things. I wonder why…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@zsazsa

Did you ever see the documentery “Super Size Me”? One of my sons saw it at school. (sorry off topic)

Interesting idea, I’ve never considered that ADD might be effecting my judgement. I’m inatentive type so I never though of myself as implussive (seems my waistline knows better). Gonna have to start considering the difference between want and need. Also it sure doesn’t help living in a target filled environment.

@Larnxa

The feel good hormones makes sense. I was really eating the things I shouldn’t during the time I was depressed. While I’m not on meds (we’re still looking into it) the pediatricain who saw my youngest son to prescribe Concerta was concerned that it might effect his appetite. He doesn’t finish his lunch from school quite often, then is looking for snacks after school. Maybe it does have something to do with the meds and appetite.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

Does anyone have problems with anxiousness or anxiety at night. I am o k during the day but at night I get wired and can’t relax, Often this leads to poor food choices and/or a drink or two to mellow me out. Any advice to veer away fcrom these bad habits?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Sounds like you’re craving the unhealthy foods and the alcohol (which is a depressant), to calm yourself down at night.

Just knowing this may be “half the battle”, but just “knowing” is no match for a nighttime craving, as we all know from experience.

You could try shifting more of your high-glycemic carbs to suppertime. For example, a dinner that includes a big helping of potatoes or white rice, can help to calm you down. And a glass of milk at bedtime really does make you feel drowsy…at least, it does for me. Also, try a bedtime routine that includes meditation and some deep breathing. Many people also find that taking melatonin (a natural supplement) helps them relax at night.

Beware of the alcohol, though, especially if you’re taking any sort of medication for ADHD or a mood disorder. It can do VERY bad things when combined with meds. And, if you’re diabetic, like me, booze will really do a number on your blood sugar—which is one reason why I’m teetotal. (But the main reason is that I simply don’t like the burn or the taste.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I find I crave carb heavy foods, especially at night time. I’m really over weight and even as I’m stuffing my food hole I’m thinking to myself “I shouldn’t be eating this” but that doesn’t stop me.

Then I go on a fitness, diet, lifestyle bing where I hyperfocus and I do awesome for a brief time period and then I sort of unfocus and it all goes out the window. I need to find a way to focus in a normal manner so that my fitness/diet doesn’t overwhelm my life but will still be something that I can stick to.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Katastrophe, I’ve been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt, for most of my life. I think it has to do with the lack of impulse control that is a symptom of ADHD. Until we fix that, no diet plan in the world is going to work for us.

Have you been formally diagnosed with ADHD, and are you on any sort of medication for it? It may help you with your diet issues, because it seems to be helping me with mine.

I was diagnosed with ADHD in April, started on Ritalin (methylphenidate), then switched to Concerta (the slow-release, long-acting form of methylphenidate) a month ago. I didn’t feel much of an effect with the Ritalin, but the Concerta changed things the very second day I took it. Suddenly, I could focus. Suddenly, clutter bothered me enough to do something about it. And I did. Concerta doesn’t change everything; it just makes it much easier for me to change my behaviours and my way of thinking about everything…including eating.

One of the side effects of Concerta is that it controls the appetite. Since being on it, I find that I’m stopping to wonder WHY I want to eat something, and whether or not I should eat that, or choose something else. And I’m eating veggies at every meal. When I do eat, I eat slowly, savouring every bite. This is new for me. Most of my life, I’ve just snarfed down everything in sight…unless it was vegetables or something healthy. You can imagine what my figure looks like.

I still have a weakness for the high-carb, high-glycemic stuff, especially at night, but now, I’m usually satisfied with just a few bites, or I choose something else entirely, like watermelon or a nectarine. The only exceptions to this are cheesies or popcorn. When I start on them, I can’t stop. Before I started the Concerta, I really craved dill pickles (no, I’m not pregnant!), and would eat several at one sitting. Maybe there’s a medical reason why I’m craving all that salt. I’m seeing an endocrinologist next week, so I’ll find out then.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Strangely, while I do crave carbs I don’t want junk food very much at all. The other day I had the hugest craving, but it was for cantaloupe! Then there are times when I would KILL for a Greek salad, and I wish I was kidding. I feel like such a freak sometimes when it comes to this stuff. I find it changes with the seasons though, I do want heavier stuff in the winter time, like pasta or very cheesy French onion soup.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sugar is probably my #1 enemy. I get really wound up at first, and then about 90 minutes later I get sleepy. Like right now.

@BAM123: As far as the nighttime anxiety goes, I’ve been through that too. Not sure if it’s diet-related or not. During one of my recent bouts with insomnia, I caught a TV preacher talking about the human mind and how it MUST work all the time. If it’s not thinking about the future, it’s going back and trying to correct the past. His advice was to focus on the future.

One of the things I’m conditioning myself to do when I’m trying to fall asleep is to plan the next day–every minute detail. I try to do this slowly and see myself going through the motions, not just making lists of things I have to do. I can seldom stay awake visualizing anything beyond 10AM. I think the trick here is that we can see ourselves controlling a little bit of our future (which is comforting), but if we focus on the past, we can’t change anything about it, and that’s disturbing and keep us awake.

Not sure if any of that is exclusive to ADD people. It may even just be me.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Dogfather, that was my response to sugar, for the 2 years before I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I’d crave sweets and/or ice cream, and then, about an hour after after eating it, I’d get so sleepy that I’d nod off for a couple of hours on the sofa. This response to sugar is a sign of Insulin Resistance Syndrome, which is the precursor to Diabetes.

For this reason, I strongly recommend that you get checked out for it. If you do have Insulin Resistance Syndrome, you can take steps to prevent it from developing into Diabetes.

Another reason to do this: Wonky blood sugar levels will also do a number on your mood and focus. They aren’t the cause of ADHD symptoms, but they can make them worse.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Speaking of blood sugar levels, I finally had my first visit to the diabetes clinic (only 4 years after being diagnosed with diabetes), and discovered that, since being on Concerta, my eating habits are almost normal (for the first time in my life), and because of that, I’ve lost about 15 lbs.—since June 13th. I still have a long way to go, but, so far, this is very good.

Unfortunately, the Metformin I’ve been on for 4 years is no longer so effective on my blood sugar, so I’m starting on Gliclazide to help boost its effectiveness. Yay…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re right on the money, Larynxa.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone!

Just thought I’d share something that may help craving and blood sugar levels. Approximately 10 years ago I lost 40 or so pounds by following Dr Barry Sear’s Book ‘The Zone’.

The book in a nutshell is:

Three balanced meals a day and two balanced snacks a day

It is not an exclusinary (is that a word?) or high-protein diet.

A meal consists of protein, heart healthy fat and low-glycemic carbs. Same with the snacks. Just like Grandma used to make!

Even if you want to eat junk food, high glycemic carbs, he shows you how to figure it into the mix.

It’s not a ‘diet’…it’s to keep all your blood levels in a healthy zone. If you are overweight, it will come off and you still get to eat eat eat!

I still drink beer (yum!) and eat wings…he just shows how to balance it all out. (Chips, too)

Hope this helps!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)