Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Disclosure

Disclosure2011-02-08T21:52:50+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? Disclosure

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a bit of background … I’m a bit of an anomaly for many ADHDers perhaps — I can organize things really well, and have developed structures and protocols to help me a long the way. I work in public relations so this is key — you need to have processes and templates, as well as attention to detail. I never proofread my own work so that helps.

I recently started working for a start-up. The people seemed really warm and open. One wondered why I was going to the doctor so frequently. I disclosed that I had recently been diagnosed with ADHD and was working with my doctor on solutions. Things have changed.

One boss, because he’s read about ADHD, thinks he knows everything about it and that perhaps my diagnosis is wrong. He is questioning my ability to do things when I don’t “drop the ball”. He’s being a bit of a bully, to boot … but that has nothing to do with my ADHD. That’s just because he’s a poohead.

After careful consideration, and talking with my husband, I decided that I’m going to find another job and put these guys on notice. I can’t help but wonder, was I wrong to disclose my ADHD? I guess so. Has anyone else had a situation like this?

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Gia,

I can relate. I work for an employer as a project manager for software projects. Organization, timing, structures, protocols and meetings are my life here. I too survive on lists and schedules. Get me off schedule, or take away my “book of lists” and I am a goner.

I have been wrestling with telling my employer about my ADD. So, I wrote a list. (go figure). Pros vs Cons. I haven’t come up with many pro’s. In Washington State, they can fire you for the way you tie your shoes or for no reason at all.

I don’t know what your whole situation is, but one word caught my attention. “Bully”. HR does not like bullies in the workplace for any reason. Since you have made the decision to leave the company, you have nothing to loose by talking to them. You could help out someone else at the company or the next ADHD. You might even make the place livable while you look for your next gig.

I am so sorry about your work situation, but you have added another con to my list.

In an ideal world, we could work with our employers and compensate for our weaknesses, while working to our strengths. But this is far from being an ideal world. I don’t think I am ever going to let an employer know about my ADD.

Random thought: I wonder what company a bunch of ADD/ADHD’s could create? A fair number of normals would be needed.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too am in the PM field, Just moved to Product Manager, and if i get off track it takes me a long time to get back on. I did tell them that i would be starting on different medication that if they noticed any thing odd from me to please let me know. I was surprised that they took the next step to what and why and were very receptive to my needs. So far they are happy to see what more focus can provide to them :-)

@Shutterbuyg55, we are looking for a new team member if you want a job here in Cali ( I moved from Seattle to Cali 2 years ago and this company has been awesome… Peet’s Coffee )

Pro’s :

Think out side of the box

When focus there is no stopping you

Since we can be general, it requires us to me more detailed (brd’s, planning etc.)

People love our Energy and enjoy working with us

we keep calm to help people “put out fires”

We thrive for structure and Process

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

LOL How do we exchange info?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hmm , will i get in trouble if i gave you my personal email? Eh i am an open book and so far i have shared more personal information here than i have with most people i know . jessevanblue@gmail.com

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I won’t tell. Honest.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thing is, with 7 people, there is no HR. And, as much as we say things are so great in Canada, they can fire you for anything. Three offenses and you are gone. So, yeah.

I have to implement the lists more often. It is all so new and I am learning. And I appreciate the support.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Question for teachers: Do you tell your students you are ADHD? I work with many students who are ADHD and I just want to help them to better understand their struggles. I work with teenagers so they are not always as receptive as I’d like. HA! I just think it’s such a shame that I can’t talk with them honestly and tell them that I DO UNDERSTAND and truly mean it.

I really feel that I could offer them support and really make a difference, but I’m so afraid that it will come back to haunt me through parents thinking I’m not qualified or administrators looking at me differently. This is such a catch 22 because I am in the perfect position to help these kids but am so afraid it will come back and bite me on the butt. Why does ADHD have such a stigma attached to it? It makes me sad and so frustrated. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@giastorm, re HR…even if there’s no HR, these guys need to get feedback that they are doing something that is negatively affecting their company. If you’re leaving anyway, this would be good to do. Telling the poohead that he’s not qualified to second-guess your medical diagnoses & the impact it had on you in the workplace, etc. They may not like to hear these things but you will be doing them a service. Sometimes people don’t realize how inappropriate their behaviour is until someone enlightens them.

@JJyankee, I think you could really be an inspiration to kids with ADHD…show them that it is possible for them to succeed in life. Not sure how administrators/parents would react; you may have to do some educating for those who don’t get it. (maybe have a tailored fact-sheet at the ready?). I would imagine that parents of ADHD kids would appreciate your openness.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)