Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Do adult ADHDers commonly talk in higher voice?

Do adult ADHDers commonly talk in higher voice?2015-03-07T08:43:08+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Do adult ADHDers commonly talk in higher voice?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a child, I was always told I talk too loudly. As an adult, I occasionally ask someone else to stop ‘yelling’ and realize I was also raising my voice. I get excited and that’s when it happens most (to my knowledge). Other than that, I rarely get comments on it anymore. Maybe people are too polite to say anything? I’m rarely in situations where I’m talking a lot and it’s not appropriate to be loud.

However, I am often told I talk too fast.

REPORT ABUSE

billythesquig

I also make voices, I can perfectly imitate any accent I hear including intonations and facial gestures, like for example indian, many indian men cock their head to the side when they talk like nodding for the USA I do Impressions too, this gets me in trouble occasionally as I forget that people get annoyed by that still I got good at being funny, it does nothing for me practically but it’s entertaining for me at least

REPORT ABUSE

scott
    Participant

No I don’t believe there is a connection between ADD and a high pitched voice.  I have a friend who is a singer, has ADD bigtime, and has a beautiful speaking voice.  The only problem is he is impatient, talks fast, and changes topics practically in mid sentence.  I have ADD and this drives me extra nuts, I don’t sing, but I was a radio DJ at one time.   There are also things you can do to improve anybody’s speaking voice.  It seems that most young women in the United States have affected some version of the ridiculous Valley Girl accent.  It’s not even a real regional or ethnic accent, it was made up by some kids in L.A. along with the extra dumb Surfer Dude accent for boys.  The Valley Girl accent makes people sound immature and they have to really  work hard to get rid of it.  Better not to have it in the first place.  Parents stop your kids from speaking like that.  Better off sounding like a Canadian eh.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

This is an interesting conversation!  (Aren’t they all.)

I know that I can get talking briskly, then getting a bit ahead of myself, words tumbling out, half sentences… and that leads to short, shallow breaths, which makes my voice higher and more nasal.

Decades ago when I was doing a lot of life theatrical shows with The Frantics comedy troupe (www.thefrantics.com) we actually went for ‘voice classes’ with a really great teacher.  In a month or two my voice dropped dramatically. Deeper, richer, and I didn’t end up hoarse or croaking after six shows in a week.

Anyway, I do know from those voice lessons, which always began with 10 minutes of lying on the floor just noticing our breathing and slowly deepening it…(Oh, my impatience would have my alarm bells going. But I managed to stick with it.) … and that made a huge difference in the pitch and power of my voice.

I never turned into Darth Vader but it was noticeable.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I know I use the upper registers of my voice, when I am stressed or tired. I also find I talk inappropriately loud at times.

I am very quiet and don’t speak much, so it isn’t much of a problem for me.

REPORT ABUSE

wiredonjava
    Participant

Sometimes I purposely use my most annoying voice so people will get irritated and leave me alone. Kind of like a dose of reverse psychology.  but I know it backfires when I’m the lonely fool, feeling worse than before, sabotaging myself, and the other person has moved on to more desirable company 😛

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I wonder if that’s the short-temper or over-sensitivity that is so common with ADHD. It’s not just attention that we have trouble regulating, it can be emotion as well.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Absolutely, Rick. Self regulation is not one of our strong suits. ADD! Emotional self regulation is just as difficult, sometimes our emotions are very strong. Without the filters and restraints an NT would have, our emotions come out strongly. How many times have you been reminded to “dial it back”, or “Honey, you really overreacted…”. Me? too many times to count.

I think those same filters and restraints are the same ones that filter all the input that overwhelms us.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)