Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Do you tell……

Do you tell……2010-12-07T15:34:08+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? Do you tell……

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

billd

The boss? And if so, how?

Do you tell any co-workers?

What about others?

Is it a secret, or a way to logically explain that you can’t always help how you are – that no, you aren’t slighting someone or mad at them because you’ve not “gotten around to writing” or answering an email?

I’m not “clinically diagnosed” but trust me – ask my wife how I am, and live with me or just be around me for a day or two. I could make the medical books I’m sure (gee, is that a good or bad thing?) With a mother who is ADD and a son diagnosed at ADHD – and on meds, I’ve never seen a better fit. Everything I read I swear – they were watching me – they know all about me and wrote exactly who and how I am.

But – is it a secret?

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

It really depends. You’ve lived with it for this long – is it affecting your work or are you able to function normally? I found that I was often going off on a tangent during work teleconference calls. Or my mind would cloud up with so many thoughts at once that often I became stuck. And of course, the inability to focus has meant that many of my projects are often late.

So I made the decision to tell my boss. She was great, and very supportive, which was a bonus for me. (I kind of suspected she would be, so I wasn’t too surprised). Just in case, though I asked her what her thoughts were on ADHD prior to telling her. Just wanted to be safe. If she had said “oh it’s not real; it’s just a fad” I probably wouldn’t have told her. That would have brought my blood pressure up.

I actually described the conversation I had with her. You can find it in “The Workplace” forum here on this site. It’s called “Just Told My New Boss”.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

LOL – normal? I guess now I don’t know WHAT normal is! No, I’d have to say it’s a HUGE impact, and there’s nothing normal about me.

Late projects, don’t like to document my work or projects, don’t like to start new ones, though I’m usually ok once I do.

My emails to the boss are long and wandering (a complaint he has), otherwise, one of is peeves is my LACK of communication.

The symptoms? I pretty much have ’em all, including at times getting lost inside my head, other times, taking over with a flurry of activity.

Guess I’ll check out your post…….

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

I had to laugh: I only know what normal looks like because everyone around me seems to cope OK. I don’t. And I sure don’t know what normal feels like (I’ve yet to get on any meds to help with this).

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)