Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Does a doctor have to diagnose what is now so obvious to me???

Does a doctor have to diagnose what is now so obvious to me???2012-10-14T19:14:29+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Suspect I Am Does a doctor have to diagnose what is now so obvious to me???

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just posted (“46? I’m almost 70 and just found out!”) under the “Have a Diagnosis, Now What?” category, because it is so clear to me I have ADD, based on everything I’ve read and the online test here. But I don’t have a medical diagnosis. I more than suspect. It just seems obvious. It feels right and explains so much.

I don’t feel I need medication for this. It helps just to know and understand my self diagnosis. It helps me be more aware of my behavior and make conscious decisions to change them as they happen. … when I do become aware of them. I’m learning ways to prepare or trick myself into being on time, for example. I’m learning I don’t have to try to do everything at once because I find it hard to prioritize.

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

If you are comfortable with where you are and don’t need to be “officially” diagnosed, then I wouldn’t worry about it. If you can manage it without meds, then more power to you! :)

REPORT ABUSE

zambatriste

I’m 62 and am “highly”suspect.  Since I have areas in my life that need the relief that treatment (read meds, coaching, etc) may bring, I’m going to get myself diagnosed.  Made the appointment…..4 weeks away.  I also want the official diagnosis for my family.  No one has ever been diagnosed, and this answers SO MANY questions about my family and family history.  But that’s me.  Otherwise, I agree w/ Amy.

I see this is an older post.  What did you decide to do?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hi @zambatriste 🙂

I know what you mean. I have also just made an appointment for an “official” diagnosis. Even though my ADD doesn’t seem to be that severe, the ever growing pile of clutter in my living room says otherwise. Though I am able to function the way that I am I feel I need to be medicated more in order to really get it together and, more important, keep it together. But my doctor is insisting on sticking with my current treatment.

I need the diagnosis for my own satisfaction and to be able to try different medications to find something that really works. And also for my own protection when I return to work, so that I can request accommodations if necessary.

REPORT ABUSE

zambatriste

OMG!! The mess on my desk at work and in my home!!!  And I can’t seem to get a handle on it!

Thanks for the response.  I don’t know what will happen, but I think I’ve got a Dr. who may be ADHD savy ( I was referred by another Dr I was checking out.  I told her I wanted someone who specialized in ADHD).  He normally only takes children and adults under 40.  When I said I strongly suspected I was an undiagnosed adult with ADHD, they made an exception and will take me on.  Fingers crossed:)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)