Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Does extended release work for everyone?

Does extended release work for everyone?2011-03-16T21:31:56+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Other Meds Does extended release work for everyone?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone!

When I was first diagnosed my Dr. put me on 10mg of Ritalin(but the pharmacy gave me methylphenidate) it worked very well for me except the short time span. I felt I wanted to try a higher dose. My 2nd appointment my Dr. reccomended Biphentin (because it’s not as expensive as Concetta) that didn’t seem to do anything, so my doctor prescribed me a higher dose of 27mg, that didn’t do anything either. Now I’m on concerts 36mg and I’m not noticing much of a difference on it either.

I have a couple questions. Should I feel the same on the extended release meds as I did on Ritalin? ( ie: side effects dry mouth, same focus)

And

Does extended release work for everybody? Or can some people simply not metabolize them properly?

My next appointment is for April 1st. Thanks for reading!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I needed 20 mg of Ritalin up to 5 times a day to become stabilized

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh and I tried the slow release

how did they work

let me say this

I may as well have been taking Tic Tacs

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Shelby,

Like you, I was given methylphenidate 10mg at first, and it worked well for me except that it didn’t last long enough. Then my doc gave me 18mg of Concerta once a day, which I have been supplementing with a 10mg methylphenidate when I feel like I need it.

To be honest, I’m a little underwhelmed with the Concerta, and I was thinking of asking my doctor if I could get a higher dose. I’m glad to know that it isn’t just me, because I thought that the two drugs were the same (just extended release vs. short acting), so it confused me that the Concerta doesn’t seem to work as well as the plain ole methylphenidate.

Maybe we develop a tolerance as our bodies adjust and we need higher dosages as we go?

Thank you for your input too, hyperman. I like your username. Sounds like a superhero. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

Shelby

From what I understand- from personal research-not an expert–(Disclaimer)

All extended release medications are not alike they vary in their delivery of the medication (release mechanism).

Some extended release tablets have an instant release part and an extended release part.

These medications -same strength- can vary with 30 % initial release-70 slow release

or 40% initial release-60% slow release etc.

you get the idea

Some extended release are 100% slow release…

From what I understand -the medication is the same as the the initial Ritalin-The release mechanism varies to not have a copyright infringement suit.

Medical effects also depend on your personal digestive system…That why a medication may last in one person 12 hours in one person and 9 hours in another.

The bottom line-There is no guarantee on any persciption-Its a trial and error to find what works best for you.

Good Luck

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

Shelby

I have read other post in this forum from individuals who varried their dosage and timing of the medication. They varied the dossage/timing on the brain areas involved..

example- If you had a focusing problem -with math- If your math class was in the morning you would take the medicine in the morning. If you had english in the morning and you did not need help in english you would not take the medicine in the morning- you would take the medicine one hour before math class..

Hope this helps

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you guys for your input! I’m so glad to hear that other people didn’t really get much of the extended release as well!

Brentitude, Right now I’m hesitant to try a higher dose of concerta because it’s so expensive and I don’t have coverage or much money at the moment. I think when I go back to the doctor I’ll ask to go back on methylphenidate. I’ll just try and time it so that the next pill starts working as the previous one wears off.

Hans, that is a good idea, but right I’m working 2 jobs and for the one I have to take it about a half hour before work (about9:30)at least to get the most out of it. And my other I like to take it when I start. But it’s tough cuz some days I start at 1 pm and then that means it’ll wear off by 1 am, but it doesn’t seem to keep me awake. Another reason I don’t Think it works that well. Also that’s why I think the Reg stuff will be better, cuz I can take it for a shorter period of time in the afternoon when I only need it for a few hours.

And hyperman! Thanks for you input. I can relate to the feeling about tic tacs! Very expensive tick tacs at that!

Thanks again guys for helping me out with this!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)