Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Does Provigil (monafinil) Work for ADD ADHD

Does Provigil (monafinil) Work for ADD ADHD2014-01-05T16:50:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Does Provigil (monafinil) Work for ADD ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

songman

Does anyone on this forum know if Provigil (monafinil) is an effective medication for the treatment of  ADD or ADHD symptoms?  Has anyone tried it?

Here is what I have been reading:

Significance

Provigil is a recent addition to the drugs used to combat ADHD. It is different from all other ADHD medications because it is not Ritalin based. ADHD medications are numerous, ranging from Concerta to Adderal, but they all made using some variety of the stimulant Ritalin.

Provigil is not made with Ritalin, but a different stimulant named Modafinil. Many people have developed a tolerance to Ritalin, do not tolerate it well or suffer adverse side effects when taking it. Provigil is significant because it is an entirely new drug that these people can use to help treat ADD.

Function

Provigil works in much the same way that other ADHD medications work, by promoting the release of the chemicals dopamine and norepinephrine into the brain. These chemicals increase alertness, attentiveness and focus. This is why it was originally used as a cure for sleep apnea and narcolepsy.

Because it releases dopamine into the brain and functions much the same way as a traditional stimulant, some studies have warned that it may lead to addiction and abuse. However, as of yet there is no conclusive evidence of this.

Warning

Provigil is a relativity new drug, so the long-term safety has yet to be determined. Like most ADHD Medications, Provigil does have some side effects, and the most common include, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, nausea, irritability and diarrhea.

It is important to note, that, though Provigil has been shown to cause the side effects, it is well tolerated the vast majority of the time. If you were to take it, you would probably not experience any of the above effects, and if you were to experience them, it would probably be only the most mild forms.

Any information would be much appreciated.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@songman

Well, I guess no one has any experience with Provigil here.  I have heard of it but that is about it.

The best way to find out is probably to try it. So if you’re interested I suggest talking to your doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

songman

That is exactly what I am going to do.  I have no choice.  My doctor cut me off of Dexitrine.  He said it is too easy to abuse, it is addictive, people are selling it on the street, and besides the Gov’t has red flagged me.  I think this means he can still prescribe it to me Dexidrine if he wants to, but they are going to closely watch both of us.

Very strange indeed.  I feel like I am being treated as an untrustworthy person or perhaps even a criminal.  I have never abused drugs. There is absolutely no history of drug abuse.  I have no criminal record.  I don’t even drink or smoke.

It is so hard to talk to a doctor when the mind is already made up.  Anyway this medication is not an amphetamine nor is it addictive.  I will point that out to him, and if he still won’t prescribe it, well I am not sure what to do.  Anyone out there have any advice on how handle difficult doctors?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Shoot them?

That’s what I feel like doing with mine sometimes. Most of the time actually.

But a better way of dealing with it might be to arm yourself with information before you go in. And make notes so that you can remember everything and stay calm and focused. And I would ask for an explanation about that “red flag”. I don’t even know how something like that is possible when you have no history of drug abuse.

REPORT ABUSE

epj

I’ve been wondering this myself, and would love to hear an educated response.  I became familiar with it around 2006 when working at a rehab hospital, and it was used to help keep brain injured patients awake and alert.  I could do without anxiety and insomnia, though.  Other ADD meds increased anxiety, and hot flashes interrupt my sleep enough, thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

honda

I was taking both Dexidrine every day, and sleep medication every second night along with seroquel every night until my doctor received a letter stating that he was prescribing outside the expected norms.   After receiving that letter he gave me a choice of either Dexidrine of zoplicon, but not both.  I needed my sleep more then Dexidrine so I chose zoplicon.   I later found out about Provigil and asked him if I could try it as a substitute for dexidrine.  He punched the medication into his computer and said no.  It is a controlled substance.  I informed him that pharmacist said it wasn’t.  He just plain would not prescribe or talk about it any further.  I would love to go back on Dexidrine.  It helped me so much.  But my doctor has been so scared that he won’t even let me try Provigil.  The fear of reprimand amongst the medical profession is so strong that they often won’t allow certain medication, even for those who really need it.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@honda

From what I have been able to find, it doesn’t look like Provigil is a controlled substance. At least not in the same way as other stimulants are.  There seems to be some debate about the addiction potential.

It also doesn’t appear to be approved for ADHD. Which does not mean doctors can’t prescribe it for ADHD. It seems that it has become quite popular, despite lack of FDA approval.

Your best bet would probably be to go to a psychiatrist if you can. They understand ADHD and the medications used to treat it better than general practitioners do. But it depends on the psychiatrist. Since Provigil is not really approved for treating any psychiatric/neurological disorders, they might be reluctant to prescribe it too.

I guess there is no easy answer. Maybe if you get some info and go show it to your doctor you can convince him?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)