Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Donating blood while on dexrodrine?

Donating blood while on dexrodrine?2010-03-20T18:38:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Donating blood while on dexrodrine?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,im currently taking dextrodrine for my adhd,will this disqualify me from doanting blood?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Any medications you’re taking, especially those that you’re taking on a daily basis, rule you out as a blood donor. This is because they accumulate (a little or a lot) in your bloodstream. If you were to give blood, those medications would be passed along to the recipient.

Even though you can’t donate blood, you can always donate money to the Red Cross, or to Canadian Blood Services. That’s what I did after 9/11.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Larynxa is right: Donating blood while on Dexedrine medication just isn’t done.

In order to get to donate blood you will have to wait for a period of several weeks during which you aren’t on medications.

You can get information about how long time you need to be Dexedrine free, as well as a list of all the kinds of medication and other substances your blood stream must be free of before you can donate.

What a great idea, helping by donating money instead. There’s always a way to do something. =0)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Larynxa and Jean are correct. Even worse, they may throw your blood out. They might just reject you before you get your blood taken.

But you can wash out the Dex after five half lives (1 week to be sure) and then give blood. No problem.

REPORT ABUSE

Flashlight

I am so frustrated that, in Canada, the blood donor bookers don’t tell you this. The system is such a deterrent for potential donors that have been turned away after wasting so much time.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

in the UK, they have a little book of ‘not a big problem’ drugs, and while dexadrine may or may not be in it, a lot of the time they can still ‘wash’ your blood into different component parts, and use the plasma, immunoglobulins, clotting factors, and all sorts of other bits that they can spin, heat treat, etc out of it, to help a lot of people.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My question is why would you want to? It is easy to see problems with donating when healthy never mind when the donor is on medications, I guess I do not understand how this is an issue to put out to other people when the information is available to you online for research to make such a personal decision.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

why would you want to save somebody else’s life? *brain explodes* … because i can. because i know numerous people who wouldn’t be here without transfusions. because i hope somebody would do the same thing for me….?

the answer to pretty much any question anybody ever has is available online for anybody who wants to, to research themselves. some people are capable of doing the research, some aren’t. some want to, some don’t. some people prefer to ask other people whom they respect and trust, some like to talk, to discuss, to challenge each other, and learn together. if everybody went happily off to google, and answered their own questions by looking everything up themselves, there would be no community, and the internet would be a very dull and lonely place.

i totally respect other people’s choice to donate, or not. i certainly wouldn’t see fit to try and sway them to my way of thinking, unless they asked for my opinion, though.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic#meds_vaccinations

For those of you in the USA, the ADHD medications do NOT disqualify you from donating blood.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)