Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dry mouth

Dry mouth2011-05-26T21:14:36+00:00
Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was very recently diagnosed (at age 36!) and am trying to find the right medication. I started with Adderall XR and had good effects on the ADD, but after about 2 weeks the dry mouth effect became unbearable. Next, I tried concerta, which was *amazing* for my focus and stability. I felt better than I’ve ever felt in my life. And after about two weeks, the dry mouth was unbearable. (we’re talking sores on my tongue, Biotene does nothing, drinking water all day does nothing)

Now we’re trying Wellbutrin, and god help me, I’m having effects on my mouth. I’m not sure it’s helping the ADD any, either, but perhaps it’s affecting my depression (I also take Celexa), who knows. It’s not quite the same as the Adderall and Concerta dry mouth effect – this feels more like my tongue is scalded, all day every day no matter what I do.

My psych is flummoxed and can’t believe that all three drugs have affected me this way. She thinks it must be a medical issue. My PCP sees no signs of thrush, and I do not show autoimmune indicators.

This is really making me miserable. I want, so badly, to treat this. Taking the Concerta was a complete revelation in how I *could* be feeling, and not being able to take it is so heartbreaking.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dry mouth is a very common side effect of any of the stimulant medication as well as non-stimulants. I’ve never heard of it being that bad though. Wow.

a) What advice did your dentist give- that might be a first place

b) Sucking lemons?

c) Anxiety also causes dry mouth so it could be the combination of the meds and your natural anxiety- maybe trying a medication to reduce anxiety (though Celexa should have done this).

Be interested to hear from anyone else.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I too get dry mouth but not THAT bad! The extent of mine is my lips getting stuck to my gums, then I cant even talk without sounding or looking like a goon! I chew a lot of gum, drink a lot of water… Gum seems to help me the most *shrugs* I know while on stimulants I tend to suck on my tongue causing the sides to have a serrated look from pressing on my teeth so hard. But I dont think that has anything to do with my mouth being dry, or a cause of it.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I take two Strattera before bed (total 80mg) and when I wake at 4:30am, I run to the kitchen for something cold and wet – tea, water, sodapop, anything. Then through the day I consume about a gallon or so of fluids. First thing in the morning, the dry mouth makes me crazy and “anxious” feeling. Even now I’m *craving* a Coke or Pepsi – anything………

I can’t chew gum because that makes me crazy feeling, too – really anxious and “antsy” like I want to get up and RUN.

Frankly I think the side effects are far worse than the ADHD………….. for this drug, there are all negatives and so far, I’ve not noticed anything good come from it. I fall asleep at the drop of a hat any time of day now………. can’t stay awake at my desk in the afternoon.

This thread makes me afraid to try any other meds – but the doctor won’t prescribe any of the stimulants for me anyway. Says I’m too old and the risks are too great. (54 is too old?????)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

First thing my DO told me to do was to determine my total daily hydration rate. This is the total minimal amount of water I need per day to fully function. This is determined by your body weight. Take your total body weight and divide it by two. That number tells you how much water your body need to just function. Example follows: a person weights 200 pounds, divide 200 by 2 and the answer you get is 100, this means you need to consume a minimum of 100 ounces of water throughout the day. If you use the metric system just look-up the information you need on a metric conversion chart. Now remember we are talking about pure water not fruit juices, fruit drinks, orange or lime or lemonades, sodas, coffees, teas which contain tannic acid which is very astringent or herbal teas that contain astringent herbs and the like.

Also stop consuming alcohol and caffeine. Also any mouth cleanser (toothpaste) that contains sodium lauryl sulfate or SLS or mouthwashes that contain alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. These are all classified as astringent to your mouth and dry it out. Also avoid salty and sugary foods they tend to dry out your mouth. Get some natural mouth cleansers that do not contain any of these things. The local Veggie-Nut store can steer you in the right direction

This helped in lessening my dry mouth problems. It did not totally eliminate the problem but it helped it a lot. I use diabetes drugs, muscle relaxants, blood pressure drugs and Adderall. Heck of a combo of drugs, hey!

Good Luck Now we are all in this together!

Markosemper

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I can’t stand plain water – it has to have flavor.

Otherwise, I drink over a gallon of liquids a day……….. it’s just not plain water. I’d go crazy if I had to drink something so boring and bad tasting (or lack of taste/flavor).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting idea .. drinking more liquid … any experience with urnine retention as a further side effect?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had this side effect with Stattera only while the dosage was still being gradually increased. Once it levelled off and some time passed dry mouth, light sleeping, dilated pupils, late day crashing and headaches and all sorts of other stuff went away.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I take Adderall XR, 60mg a day (first thing in the a.m.), starting at 10mg originally and since the beginning I’ve had dry mouth… I drink about 1.5 – 2L of water a day now. This has been a great benefit in my life, water is great for me – I just hate when I’m with my employees or co-workers and my tongue turns to sandpaper, it can be awkward to stop in the middle of a conversation to grab some more water. Like others, I also have taken to chewing gum often, finding it helps to avoid the drastic need for water!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lurkness .. how many months had to pass for the straterra symptoms to stop ?

im in month 3 at 60 m .. next stage is 80 may do 40 and 6 hrs later another 40

dry mouth and urine retaining are annoying and make me anxious .. the later can be serious

so of course i worry ..has it stopped or ..? not sure any good is coming of it or the 300 wellbutrin

family doc waiting on me to say what is next … sigh .. at least he isnt like the last 3 stooges who

could not admit that they didnt know .. oh well … more researching .. maybe do stuff as well as pills ?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)