Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Emailing directly to other totallyadd members

Emailing directly to other totallyadd members2011-10-30T00:16:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Emailing directly to other totallyadd members

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

resipsa

A few days ago I emailed TotallyAdd.com and suggested that members be able to contact each other directly. I received a very quick positive response but so far the suggestion is still at the “hey, that’s a good idea” level. If anyone else thinks being able to contact other members would be helpful, please let the fine folks at TotallyAdd.com know.

To “Peta-Puma” and “billd”. I have only recently found this web-site. I have read many of your posts and it sounds like we are similarly situated. I thought it would be helpful to tallk to others where I would NOT have to explain what ADD is like and perhaps we could compare notes on what coping mechanisms have worked and which haven’t.

Since I have no direct way of contacting you, and since the website raised possible privacy concerns, I will take the first step and blow my privacy away by saying my name is Bill Loeffler, I am 52 y.o. and have had ADD since childhood. My email address is wdldad@gmail.com. If you would like to contact me so we can compare ADD notes and discuss possible coping mechanisms, I would like to hear from you.

This ought to be interesting.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

The forum I run has a PM (Private Message} system in it. That way you can contact members, but NOT use email (for privacy, etc.)

I’d suggest that you change the way your email address reads here or be prepared for the bots to nab that and fill your email with spam.

Change it to something like

wilddad

a t

gm ail

dot

c om

Humans can figure it out, spam bots not so easily.

I”m all for the PM system, or, like our forum will do too – allow you to send an email THROUGH the forum, so that you can’t see the email address you are sending to – that way of the other member doesn’t care if you know their email address, they can respond directly in another email. IF they don’t want you to know, they can PM you.

It’s a great system, really –

(theamcforum.com/forum)

I’m billd there.

REPORT ABUSE

Gary

Howdy all-

I’ll raise my hand to the idea of some type of PM system on the site -and also agree with billd that spambots love emails addresses sent “in the clear”. A PM system would give the option of messaging between members, and if they choose to share email at that point, it’s safer.

That said, I’d like to bring up another topic – membership dues.

When I found this site several months ago I was awed at the quantity and quality of the information here. From Rick and Dr. J’s vid’s, to the Virtual Dr., to the tools- everything was well researched, presented in a direct manner and, as importantly, along with a healthy dose of humor. I was amazed that a site of this quality was free ( I actually scoured the site looking for a way to contribute and/or support it).

Rick, Ava, and family, Dr. J. and his family seem to be not just hosting the site (in a social, not IT sense), as well as supporting it. Patrick, Janice, and all the experts may donate their time and expertise, but support staff, hosting service (this is the IT version), bandwidth, moderating, maintenance, and a thousand other things -like forum support- take time…and $$$’s (Canadian, US, etc…pick your monetary preference). Maybe it’s time for a discussion about contributing to something we all use (God, I sound like my PBS/NPR station fund-drive!).

Who knows- this could go viral! We could be so successful that the site could fund a sequel to ADD & Loving It! Maybe Patrick also has a co-morbidity he’s dying to share, once he discovers it- in the course of making the film. This could be huge!

We could all be invited to the premier!

Uhm…stepping away from the keyboard now…

Gary -who’s happy to hear from others at gn_holt at that loud place (sounds like ya – who?) dot com. Warning – I send all spam-bots straight to Sarah Palins website…

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Please let’s NOT get political here……. this is the one sane place that avoids that.

I run a forum myself – trust me, just the mention like that can send threads into the toilet faster than anything else (other than perhaps religion)

I REALLY hope this can be a safe haven for those of us who need to step away from the political comments and crap.

If I want political BS, I’ll turn on the evening news ;-) LOL

Not much needed in the line of support staff – check the number of members and the numbers of posts at

theamcforum.com

– and I do it ALL as far as administration and “IT” part of it, with 4 others who are moderators when they can. I’m the admin, etc.

Cost – about $250/year tops for hosting and software, plus MAYBE another $100 for “misc expenses”, although I’m thinking of adding more features to our own forum/site that could increase costs. We are backed by SQL and have all the server space we need, and bandwidth isn’t an issue at all. SQL space is getting tighter, but for just a few bucks, I can increase that a pretty hefty amount.

If you start asking for money – or charging – this forum will die a slow death, trust me….. ;-) I’ve seen it.

resipsa – bill

at

antique-engines

Then you know the whole dot come speel….

I wouldn’t mind hearing from ya.

I’m a very young 54, and seem to be getting younger…… coping?

Yes, add since early grade school – maybe earlier but my memory isn’t so great.

Privacy? HA – with 4 email addresses, and my presence on our own forum, I have none of that.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree, a PM system would be great, whether it be for social stuff, or for issues we wish to discuss privately rather than on a forum, but meanwhile, for those of you who would like to get in touch (not that I am that great at keeping in touch with anybody 😳 ), you can do so via

kathatchard at

adam

and the whole dot com, but with au too.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

My ADHD kicked in again when I posted last night – as far as operating a forum or web site, specifically this one… my guess is that it’s no expense for the individuals – because it’s most likely a tax-deductible business expense.

How would I know? As a business owner (several businesses over many years) and former retail store owner – the web sites I’ve done, esp the retail store site, had a forum – and since it was part of the business site, and was in a sense, a customer service and advertising deal, it cost me nothing out of pocket. In fact, the hosting and even other services I did have to hire out were covered as business expenses.

(Our store was The Quilt Junction, in West Des Moines, Iowa – we sold it to our manager January 2005, and in a couple years, she’d pretty much killed it……)

Check the trademarks and logos associated with the site and forum……I suspect it’s a business site.

The forum I run, however, is not. It’s not connected with any business, is non-profit, and exists on advertising and FREE-WILL donations.

Want to support this ADD site right here?

Participate in the forum,

Purchase products through the site store,

Tell your ADD friends.

HAHA kk – that’s an issues I have! Seems to be an ADD thing..

REPORT ABUSE

resipsa

Gary … Oy vey! Ixnay on the duesnay! Let us, ever so gently, encourage the TotallyADD folks to enhance the capability of the site with suble suggestions of !!!! WILDLY INCREASED !!!! traffic to their site. Hmm, guess I need to work on that subtlety thing. I’ll put that on my to do list.

Folks who research ADD get their information from the folks who have ADD. Let’s cut out the middle man and talk to each other. Not that there isn’t a legitimate role for those that have it Piled higher and Deeper, there is also much to be said for going directly to the source, us.

And golly gee whiz, think of the material that would be available for a BEST SELLING BOOK if Dr. J or Hallowell moderated the discussions a couple times a week. That could even take the place of dues! Naturally, properly executed releases supported by adequate consideration would be necessary for all, perhaps with more than adequate consideration for the brilliantly creative person who had the initial idea.

(Too subtle?)

REPORT ABUSE

billd
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)