Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Euphoria from Dex, good or bad?

Euphoria from Dex, good or bad?2010-11-19T21:55:17+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Dexedrine Euphoria from Dex, good or bad?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hayes212

I could use some insight into finding the right dose of Adderral and Dex. Of course I’ve needed to make it overly complex!

My current dose is 30mg Adderral in the am. Afternoon I take 2 doses an hour or two apart 5mg Dex.

I’ve been experimenting and find that if I take a dose in which I feel a euphoria I’m less impulsive and all around better behaved. This is a result I appreciate but I don’t like the feeling or the euphoria and focusing is more intense feeling . I can sit still and tell less jokes etc. I look focused and relaxed but really just afraid to move in case I don’t stop!

When I take a lesser dose so that I don’t feel any euphoria. I feel it better to focus and so calm yet still with motivation. I get things done. Not always what I planned but I’m still happy to get something done. But my behavior remains impulsive. Talking to strangers in line at the store and my usual fear one day I’ll run into traffic after a shiny nickel.

With that background my question is. Euphoria: Good or Bad? “If” I raised my dose will the euphoria balance out to something tolerable?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Euphoria may actually be the antidepressant effect. Who knows, may be this is what normal feels like.

It is ok. As long as no one says that you are looking or sounding manic, it should be all right.

Make sure you consult with your doctor though.

REPORT ABUSE

Hayes212

Thank you Dr. J. I’m glad that “someone” took the time to help answer my question. I’ve been having a very difficult time with this. Although I’m currently in therapy I’m the only one in the group with ADHD and so no one seems to relate. Being alone in a world I don’t seem to be a part of doesn’t help either.

But thanks again Dr. J. I really appreciate your response.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Hey, all of us here feel that we don’t quite fit into the world. Our brains work differently, and we’ve always felt different.

Only, now we know why!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Complete euphoria may just mean your dosage is a little too high. Although, a few years ago I went through a period of heavy anxiety, and my only relief was the euphoria from 5mg of dex every 4 hours, which believe it or not, helped take my mind away from focusing on the anxiety itself. Actually, it wasn’t euphoria, it was just focusing my attention away from the anxiety, which at the time was total euphoria!! So like Dr. J says, normal could be your euphoria since you’ve lived without normal for so long.

REPORT ABUSE

Buz

Dex hits my anxiety spots too. It is a different kind of normal I agree.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

What is NORMAL anyway? The psychiatrist definition is, “only the under-investigated”. There is something wrong with everyone. The more appropriate threshold is what makes people function.

REPORT ABUSE

Hayes212

Thanks everyone for your input. I really do appreciate it and have a better understanding my dosage. I take adderral in the morning. (30mg) then boost it in the afternoon with two dex (5mg) 2 to 3 hours apart. I’ve discovered when I take the dex too close together I feel more intense like a tightened spring and euphoric. Yet at the same time I’m much less impulsive. I can sit in a chair. I can sit in a room full of people without needing to point out the squirrel outside the window!

It also does effect my anxiety a little but no one else seems to notice. If feeling as a tightened spring is “normal” then I guess unwinding at the end of the day might be too. As Buz said though, it is “a different kind of normal”

Thanks again! Cheers!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Over time that euphoria will also settle down.

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

I really have to bring this back. Dr. J sums up what the term is. However, I am now extremely confused as to what this medication (Vyvanse) is suppose to do.

“The Antidepressant Effect”-I don’t know if what I am experiencing.  Is euphoria or is it what “normal” feels like.

I feel really happy and content with things, and very self confident.

I am not really as motivated and focused as i would like to be.

Without meds I feel a fog and get easily frustrated and irritated. I am very negative and I have extreme self esteem issues which leads to jealousy and other negative characteristics. Always a pessimistic too.

Is this what normal feels like or am I overdosed and high?

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Dr. J. isn’t around these days, JoJosephine.

My advice is talk to the doctor who has prescribed the medication. And you can also talk to the Pharmacist who dispenses them. Many Pharmacists are surprisingly well informed. Notice, I didn’t say all.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@jojosephine– It’s too soon to tell. You have to give it more time. Unless you are experiencing really severe side effects. Like Dr. J said, if you are manic then you may have a problem. A little euphoria is probably a good thing.

I am in a similar situation with my new antidepressant. I haven’t noticed a huge difference with my mood but I seem to be enjoying things a little more and interacting with others a little more. But I also think that I am less motivated and more scattered.  I’ve been more like I was when I was a kid, wandering off  towards whatever shiny thing has caught my eye and completely forgetting what I was doing. But I don’t know if that is a reaction to the medication or a reaction to my new found freedom now that I’m not working.

If you have never experienced “normal” then it’s hard to tell if you feel normal, right? It will take time for you to figure out what your “normal” is.

But like Rick said, check with your doctor and pharmacist if you are concerned.

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

@Rick Are you guys going to get another medical doctor on board?

@blackdog I am not really that concerned or worry. It isn’t really that intense. I just wish there was someway to know that what I am feeling is what the “normal” feeling is that I am supposed to feel.

I have no patience. I really want to get to my proper dose now so I can function and be as productive as I want to be.  The time between my appointments to discuss this with my doc feels like an eternity. 🙁

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@jojosephine, I know how you feel. But your appointments are probably timed to give you a specific amount of time on the medication so that the effect can be accurately assessed. Usually it’s about 6 to 8 weeks.

Hang in there and try to be patient. (I know, telling someone who has ADHD  to be patient is like telling them not to breathe.)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)