Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Exhausted from working so hard to focus

Exhausted from working so hard to focus2010-12-21T18:02:10+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs Exhausted from working so hard to focus

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Sirisly

I’ve always been tired and I’ve had the million dollar work-ups to look for thryroid issues and whatever else. I’m starting to think that what makes me tired is the fact that I’m working 10 times as hard to do the simplest things like get my two kids out the door on time that by the time I’ve sustained the mental energy to get through the task, I’m exhausted. Anyone else experience this?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s a similar post about this here in the Forum. I find that with ADD your brain is racing at 100 MPH all the time, and this is both physically and mentally draining. I find myself needing to take an hour nap at around 4:30PM every day! Try to allow yourself some rest time during the day, if you can. I don’t know how old your kids are, but if they’re old enough explain to them you really need their help in getting them out the door in the morning. Maybe they’ll understand and give you a break on certain tasks, like dressing themselves.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Medication does help but it is true alot of energy is exerted just to concentrate I find vitamins do help a bit specificly B-complex. High mental activitiy tends to burn up alot of it from my experience.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know exactly what you are talking about. I would be just mentally exhausted but going in circles all day and pretty much accomplishing nothing. I was recently put on wellbutrin and a low dose adderall and this so far seems to be working. tI has definatly helped slow down my brain alittle.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

sirisly,

You typed about million dollar work ups…… Have you been tested to see if you have ADHD by a qualified party.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is so hard. It is so true you work so much harder. The faster the pace the more mistakes. It has run me in the ground. The vicious cycle of anxiety, work harder, more anxiety, more mistakes, work harder. People do not understand. “Why do you work so hard?”

My new focus is balance. I have been working hard to change from eating junk food to a balanced diet. I take supplements. I finally found an exercise that fits my adhd brain. I HATED exercise. It was boring, torture. Now I swim and have trouble getting out of the water. I look forward to swimming.

I think balance is the key. Routines help. The more we think the harder it is. Routines put us into a different state that allows us to work without the torture. I put myself on auto pilot as much as possible. The more we think less blood that gets into the Frontal part of the brain. The frontal lobe is like the…..secretary if you will. Dr. Daniel Amen makes the comparison that if you were driving a car the more you push the gas the SLOWER the car goes.

AGGRAVATING…..

Knowing your strengths, weaknesses pitfalls in advance is one way to work to your strengths and not to your weaknesses.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Yeah, routines help for sure.

My problem is that I establish them and then never follow through.

I forget I drew up a daily schedule. Or that I created yet another DAILY ORGANIZER template in Microsoft Word. A real beauty too.

A structure is good. Just as there are a lot of good, sensible weight loss programs around. The trick is sticking to it.

That’s where having partners comes in.

When my wife Ava checks in with me a few times a day, the simple act of getting present to what I am supposed to be doing, as opposed to what I am actually doing, is great. I get back on track, quickly.

And the longer I am on track, the more automatic the new habit becomes.

For example, I check all my pockets every time I leave the house, or leave the office, a meeting, someone’s house, a coffee shop… It’s automatic.

It sounds kind of small and silly, but to me, it’s magical. And it saves a ton of aggravation.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a special ed teacher and I saw a very interesting lecture called: FAT city (the name makes no sense but it is unbelievable video from the 80’s you will get a kick out of the hairdos).. It is by Rick Lavoie who is a very well know person who is very knowledgable. I believe that he works as a consultant for a net work.

He explains that when learning something that the brain can only focus on that one thing. You know will recognize it as the times when you tell someone to practically stop breathing when you are figure out how to put something together or when you are driving to a new place.

Once something is familiar our brain can relax and do more tasks at once.

I know from the past that when I am in that state of focus is when I stress out the most. I think this has been hard for me and others who have ADD

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

FAT city has been uploaded on you tube in parts. It is worth a view. It is eye opening. The focus is reading disabilities. I think it was your videos that said 40 percent of ADDers have LD too.

Thank you so much for your response Rick :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)