Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Finally

Finally2011-08-30T03:46:55+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having trouble i was just diagnosed 2 monthsago and my doc has me on straterra. Its helping a little but not much. I am having the biggest problems with my family my parents especially, they don’t know all ADHD consists of. can someone tell me how to get them to really educate themselves and try to understand i am having as really tough time and they’re making it worse. Thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi CDJ,

I am so sorry that you find yourself in an un-supportive situation. You are correct that if your folks can learn more and understand more about ADD, I think they will respond favorably. Remember,it is no one fault that you have ADD. f they heard it was often (always) hereditary, they may feel you are pointing a finger.

The CD, ADD and Loving it is great. I recently ordered it and while my husband knows I have ADD, I have told him that I really want him to watch it as a refresher. I am also planning on sharing it with my Brother ( also ADD) and my sister.

Try ans find a calm time to approach them. Think about the 3 things you most want to share with them. Ask them to just listen. Then offer to help them get information to understand ADD and you more.

Hang in there. We are here for you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanx for the advice kelly, i’ll try some of that. I grew up in the south so many parents hardly listen to their children from that generation. It almost reminds me of when i was a kid and they tried to spank add out of me. Or when the teacher told them i had too much sugar in my diet and i was put on a sugar free diet for almost a year and was still hyper, after that they thought the problem was me bein stubborn. I guess if at first u dont succeed try try again. Thanx for the advice once again and i am really glad i found this website.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey CD, Glad you are ok. I can’t begin to express how much much this website has meant to me. I was on a new medication ( adderal) because of the ritalin, methyphenidate shortage. I was 2 weeks in, and did not even realize what was going on with me. Our public TV station had the ADD and loving it on again, and while I have seen it, I was mesmerized. It helped me see how messed up I was on the Adderal. Sounds like you had it pretty tough growing up. My folks didn’t understand me either. I grew up very lonely, sad and couldn’t understand why I was always being told to just shut my mouth. I don’t think medication is the end all be all. Understanding yourself is key. Accepting yourself and loving yourself. This is still a daily struggle for me, but like you say, “if at first you don’t succeed…” Hang in there CD, I will look for you in future posts.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)