Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

financial aid for ADHD?

financial aid for ADHD?2011-11-17T17:04:03+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace College financial aid for ADHD?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wasn’t diagnosed until a few years after college. my college career is a perfect portrait of ADHD:

I went to three different universities, switched majors at least four times, withdrew from probably 20 courses after it had become impossible to avoid failing, and finally graduated after nearly 7 years. I also ended up with a degree that very little job placement opportunity (theology) and although I was able to get by in my undergrad theology program, graduate school has been an absolute disaster.

all of my life I’ve gone with the approach that “the future will figure itself out.” I never attributed this attitude to my ADHD (partly because I wasn’t diagnosed) until recently. Dr Russell Barkley talks about ADHD in terms of myopia to time, and it wasn’t until I saw this video that the bell chimed in my head.

not only am I a terrible planner, but I’ve basically adapted in ways that allow me to hide my ADHD from the world. this essentially helped me avoid dealing with any short-term consequences that I feared (namely getting in trouble) while ultimately making long-term consequences worse …how classically ADHD.

recently these chickens are coming home to roost and I’ve realized that I need to get very serious about finding comprehensive help in order to build skills that will help me manage.

so, I came up with a plan that actually makes a lot of good sense.

the MA program I am in (and failing badly at) now is also offered as a dual degree program coupled with an MSW. most MSW programs take about 4 years for entrance with “regular standing,” meaning that the applicant doesn’t already have a bachelors in Social Work. however, if one /does/ have a BSW, the program takes about half as long, and costs about half as much money. likewise, there are many jobs salaried at around $35k available to folks with a bachelors in Social Work who have also been licensed, and many of the organizations offering these jobs will also help pay the cost of tuition for graduate work.

finally, the plan: there is a small state university about a mile from my house where for about $8k I could complete their BSW and get licensed. after that, I planned to get a job in the field with one of these organizations that will help pay for graduate work. first I’ll spend several years working so I can pay of a good amount of the debt I’ve accrued (which is significant) and then return to the graduate program where I am currently enrolled to finish the MA/MSW, so that I’m not just flushing all the work I’ve done there on this theology degree down the pooper.

even my mother agrees that this would provide excellent resolution to the wandering, misguided path of my education prior to now. the problem is that evidently I exhausted the financial aid available to me for undergraduate work while I was busy doing all of this headless-chicken running. so, it’s a great plan, but I have absolutely no money to realize it.

it is terribly ironic to me that for the first time in my life I’ve actually put together a thoughtful and realistic plan for the future, but because of the havoc that untreated ADHD wreaked on my educational planning in the past, I am essentially unable to make amends and start anew.

I plan to talk to my doctor about whether he knows of any programs (governmental or otherwise) that might make it possible to overcome this obstacle, because in all honesty if this doesn’t work, I am really not sure how I am ever going to make enough money to pay back the mountain of loans under me now… and means nobody in this situation wins.

does anyone have experience similar to this? or, has anyone ever heard of any program that might make it possible to reach this goal so I can start contributing to society and pay off my loans??

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You might try looking for grants geared towards students with learning disabilities. Perhaps you can find a program that is flexible enough to suit your needs. It might also be useful to see what resources your school(s) might have to assist you in keeping on task.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I keep hearing about “Women’s Re-entry” grants and scholarships. They are geared towards women who either never started college, or dropped out and want to return following raising kids, or whatever challenges. It seems like you usually write up a bio on why you are looking for a new start – which could include explaining the ADD situation…

That might be something to look around for, because I know there’s money geared toward that category of “Women’s Re-entry.”

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Many grants are only available for Bachelor degree work. Not for Masters. However, if you find something, please post it!!! I have a BA and I’d love to go back to school for more, but there is no way I can afford it, and I do not want to go into debt over it again.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Man, does THIS ever fit/describe me! ->

>>all of my life I’ve gone with the approach that “the future will figure itself out.” I never attributed this attitude to my ADHD (partly because I wasn’t diagnosed) until recently. Dr Russell Barkley talks about ADHD in terms of myopia to time, and it wasn’t until I saw this video that the bell chimed in my head.

not only am I a terrible planner, but I’ve basically adapted in ways that allow me to hide my ADHD from the world. this essentially helped me avoid dealing with any short-term consequences that I feared (namely getting in trouble) while ultimately making long-term consequences worse …how classically ADHD.

<<

Yeah, too true. I’ve gotten by because I was so fast and so good at what I did, and was almost always able to figure out shortcuts, or ways to do things faster. Need to update 34 routers in as many remote cities – in a day? That’s how long it should take for most folks. I somehow found all sorts of other things to do – and the dayt went by quickly, suddnely there was only like 90 minutes left – and I still have 34 to go!

Crunch time hit, I flew into action…….. got them done with a few minutes to spare.

Unfortunately, there are too many times where you just can’t cheat the clock – it won’t work (at least not with today’s technology) so now and then I fall hard.

ANYWAY, if you were/are in the states, you could apply to your own state’s Vocational Rehabilitation agency…….. they help folks with any sort of disability find and get education, jobs and so on. In Iowa, it would be Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services (IVRS) Other states have their own. Not sure of Canada, etc.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

billd, this is excellent advice! thank you so much!

I’m not in Iowa, but Minnesota. I am, however, a HAWKEYE! and even wearing my sweatshirt as we speak. :)

I’ll check out this “MVRS” you speak of and report back.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Well, then you must be half Iowan and half Canadian! LOL

GO HAWKEYES! (ah, but from what I hear, ISU did pretty well this past weekend, too)

Let us know how it goes. It might take some time to get “worked into the system” but it’s getting amazing results down here. We have a counselor with ADD – and I wonder if I asked him if he’d have any tips for helping you make contact or get started.

It’s a problem like any other issue or disability, and we help folks here with autism and similar things – I saw the chart a few weeks ago on our successes – the clients we help get training and eventually back into the work force end up generating millions of dollars more than what this agency spends in getting them there. In other words – if ever a government program was worth what gets put into it – this one is. The return on tax dollar invested in this agency is fantastic.

REPORT ABUSE

bleachboy10
    Participant

LSA & billd (your first post)- DIDDO! my life..

been 2 several colleges but it soooooo much sucked. I;m a workaholic but not a school-aholic. I really would like to go back. I got a BA of Theo untill the school lost their accreditation. My whole class lost their degree. 4 Efing years spiralied down the toilet.

I love music so I would like to pursue musicianship/performance and recording/production but I’m SCARED, I admit it! It scares me! I can’t work and do school, it efffs me up!

I currently live in friends basement and I play music/concerts/shows for tips in coffeeshops/musicstores…

if any one was interested my music is here: http://www.reverbnation.com/justdavidmuzik

I would just really like to get a good music degree but $$$! (!@#$%^%^&*) i dont have it!

I need better coping skills for school, online classes might work but I’m not sure I can sit for them and big classes dont work for me I do best if its small group or 1on1…

I’m looking for local helps stuff…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)