Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

First Day taking any ADD medication–Concerta 18mg…

First Day taking any ADD medication–Concerta 18mg…2010-12-30T02:44:50+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta First Day taking any ADD medication–Concerta 18mg…

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m on my first day of Concerta and I’m one of the lucky ones…so far so GREAT. Three of my four children have been on it for years, and what a HUGE difference it made for them. I’m only just now getting around to finally getting help for myself. I hope things continue to go well, and glad to hear that you’ve found a solution that so far seems to help…good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Philabuster

It appears like I may need to adjust the dosage with my doctor. My old habits are creeping back as I am getting used to the medication. I am no longer feeling any benefit and my activity is slowed. Breaks and lunch are back to normal. I am starting to crave computer time again and I am staying up way too late again.

One thing I did notice a few weeks ago as a side effect though. I am normally a salt-a-holic. I crave salt on meals and snacks–always have. Candy bars and cake are not something I even ate or cared about. About 3 weeks after taking the meds, I noticed meals were tasting salty without me adding any more salt so I stopped using a salt shaker. I also noticed an increase in desire for sweet snacks that was rarely there. Last week, I ate two candy bars in a day and also started eating hard candy.

Again, this is unusual. It is not life threatening, but I did notice it was out of the ordinary. The past few days I have not had any sugar.

Another side effect with the medication I noticed from day one is I tend to bite my nails MUCH MORE OFTEN as the med is wearing off in the afternoon. I have resorted to wearing gloves as often as possible at work, but my fingernails still look like hamburger.

Weight is unchanged in the last two weeks. I am still at my smaller belt size, but have dropped no further.

Pre-authorization for the med finally went through. That was a lot of hassle–especially when it only saved me $12 a month vs paying it out of pocket. BFD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for all the info Philabuster,

I have just been diagnosed and have my hopes up that the meds are going to be a positive influence for me. I’m also inattentive type. I think I may ask for the standard ritalin after reading your experience. I’ll see what the doc recommends next Thursday. I have to say, I can hardly wait. Life is overwhelming right now and I’ve been needing help for a long time. Thanks again and let us know how the new dose works out. I will report as soon as I can (Thursday).

REPORT ABUSE

Philabuster

Doc upped my dosage to 20mg twice a day instead of the 10mg twice daily (methlyphenidate).

Focus is back like it was when I first started taking it. I really appreciate how the med makes me feel when I am around my kid. I have tons of patience when dealing with difficult situations (kid stuff again) where before I would get frustrated rather quickly. I noticed that my patience dropped off as I got used to the dosage. Patience is back now that dosage is doubled.

Help with patience around my kid was the primary reason I started taking any ADHD medication. The Concerta was horrible. The Ritalin works for me. The benefits of the medication at work are just a bonus.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)