Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

First timer trying Dexedrine, what to expect?

First timer trying Dexedrine, what to expect?2010-07-26T14:19:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Dexedrine First timer trying Dexedrine, what to expect?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi! This is my first time posting here and i’m still trying to learn the ropes of my diagnosis. Here is some of my history:

My Dr. suspects that I have ADD (previously having been diagnosed as Bipolar II and taking Topomax and anti depressants with no improvement) and has me trying Dexedrine (5mg) for the first time today. At 32, I recognize most of my behaviors and feel that I have done a pretty good job of working around my shortcomings. Assuming that it was just who I was, however lots of my “quirks” have gotten me into trouble with me personal relationships. Now that there could be something else at play, i’m anxious to see if medication will help.

I took the Dexedrine about 30 minutes ago and am being hyper sensitive to everything i’m feeling/thinking. How do you know when it’s working? How will I know if it’s for me? I realize that the answers vary from person to person but I’m worried that I won’t be able to tell a difference, or even know if the med is working?

We are using this medication trial as a form of diagnosis, to see if I improve or not while taking it. I have such high hopes, but must admit that i’m scared. So far, after 45 mins I am not feeling antsy or anxious like the Dr, said that I might (even have some Clonazepam handy just in case). My head feels a bit fuzzy but that’s about it.

I’m hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks for reading!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Before starting any medication, speak to your doctor about the expected outcome measure. Sometimes it is the number of pages you can actually focus on in a book, the amount of invoice completed, the length of focus time cleaning, the ability to stay at your desk, etc. Set up a baseline of how long you can do something before the meds start and then retest yourself using whatever parameter you need to. Make it realistic folks. “Want to be a zillionaire” does not constitute a realistic outcome. “I want to be liked” is too vague. In schools we sometimes just ask the teacher, “in five minutes, how many times does Johnny lift his eyes off the page.”

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t worry, try doing something that you had a hard time doing before..in my case i was at college when i started taking dex and i realized that i didn’t have to read things over for them to sync in. instead of reading 2 or 3 pages of an uninteresting part of a book i can read 10-15 or even more because i am not having to constantly remind myself to stop looking outside because something had moved by the window or thinking about something else that i’d rather be doing..etc ..I started at 15mg but i asked to get the 5mg because i enjoy coffee in the morning …and if you add the to together it was overkill, i was able to do more but it eventually started to burn me out and it was worse then the add…taking an intense course in college i was forced to drop out…..so starting at 5mg is a good idea!!! This site is awsome ! if the college i was going to would of understood what i was going through i might have been able to get credit’s for late project’s ..it sucks when you know you can figure something out by looking at it but you can’t show it to someone because you can’t stay focased on writing down or proving it with formulas…sometimes A.D.D’ers will have a solution to a problem but because we can’t explain How we got to the solution, it is disregarded.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)