Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

frustrated over exams

frustrated over exams2010-05-06T17:40:11+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m trying to get my life together and currently going for practical nursing. I give myself lots of time to study, I have a tutor and a exam reader and I’m barely passing exams. I think I bombed the one I wrote today. I have no idea what to do or where I’m going wrong. It’s so stupid when a person tries to do something with his life and exams hold them back.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

A whole bunch of questions come up for me, Billy. Are you seeing someone about your ADHD? If so, what strategies have they suggested? Have you tried medication? (My son went from failing to honours when he went back on medication in his second year of university.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Honestly, beginning treatment for my ADD is what has saved my education. I would have ended up failing and being kicked out if not for the help I’ve gotten over the last year. And it’s not just managing to stay in the program, I went from handing things in three weeks late to getting a couple A’s and A+’s and managing marks that I could be proud of in all of my other classes.

But there were times during the school year when I thought that there was honestly no way I was going to make it through the school year. Go have a look at the post called “This is going to take more than super glue” if you want to hear my own long winded rant about failing school. The post I was talking about was for a class that I ended up with an A in by the way. What that goes to show is that sometimes we ADD university students tend to be overly hard on ourselves. We think we did much worse than we actually did.

Also, I want to know just how bad a grade you mean by bombing. I’m asking because getting 74% on a math assignment had me in tears because I “failed.” 74% is not failing on an assignment, and it’s certainly not a mark to be disappointed about, especially when you have a math LD like I do. Sometimes perfectionism gets the better of us and we think that what would give others a pang of disappointment are worth jumping off of a bridge for.

Take a deep breath and take stock of the situation. See what needs to be done from there.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)