Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Generic replacements

Generic replacements2010-05-21T18:06:07+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Methylphenidate Generic Generic replacements

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has your pharmacist ever suggested a generic replacement for your ADHD medications?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I don’t have any choice in the matter.

I get the generic versions of all my prescriptions, because I’m on the Ontario Government’s Trillium Drug Plan (otherwise known as the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan). I’m on Trillium, because my income is very low, so it’s the only way I can afford my medications. If I wanted the branded versions, I’d have to pay the difference, which is prohibitive, on my income. And there are many, many others (particularly those with mental conditions) in the same situation.

Currently, I’m on generic versions of Metformin (for my Type-2 Diabetes), Seroquel (a mood stabilizer that helps me get to sleep and stay asleep at night), and Ritalin. The first two are quite effective. So far, the generic Ritalin isn’t doing much for me. Many people have reported that there is a big difference between branded and generic Ritalin. But, again, I can’t afford to find out if that’s true or not.

And don’t get me started on what I think of the LIES being spread by the big drugstore chains as they fight to hang onto that payola they’ve been extorting from the generic drug companies for so long…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m on the brand name Ritalin because my psychiatrist told me that it works much better than the generic. I’ve never been on the generic so I can’t say if that is true. But the brand name stuff is working just fine for me. :) I think it helps that I have my parents drug plans still because I’m under 25 and still a student. Plus my parents are divorced so I can use my step dad’s plan as well. The University also offers a benefits plan. So because I have four plans to work from I can layer everything until I don’t have to pay anything at all. It’s really a blessing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I wrote a blog post reviewing this issue in depth.

It can be seen here: http://www.addadhdblog.com/generic-concerta-in-canada

Larynxa – see if you can get one of the cards that I discuss – then you can stay on the brand name concerta while on the trillium drug plan.

Dr. Kenny Handelman

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Funnily enough, I took my first prescription for Concerta to my local pharmacy, yesterday afternoon. They didn’t have the generic version, and Trillium only covers about half the cost of the branded version of drugs for which a generic alternative exists. The head pharmacist said, “Wait a minute, I think there’s something that can help you.” She dug out a card from a little box on her desk, entered it into the computer, and voila! I got my brand-name Concerta, at no cost to me. And since the card details are now on my record in the pharmacy’s database, I don’t need to have the card in my hot little hand (or, more likely, lost in whatever “important” place I’d put it) to reap the benefits.

After reading the information on your blog, I now REALLY appreciate being able to get the branded version of this drug. I’ve literally just started on the lowest dose (18mg), and I’ve only felt a very slight benefit so far, so I expect the dosage will need to be increased. But it already seems to be more effective than the generic Ritalin I’d started with when I was first diagnosed. Before starting the Concerta, we had increased the Ritalin to 30 mg, and had some benefit, but it only lasted for about 3 hours. I suspect it would have been more effective if it had been the branded, rather than the generic version.

I also really appreciate this extra thing my local pharmacist did for me. The pharmacy is in my local supermarket, and doesn’t have all those propaganda posters telling me to stop the government from ending the kickbacks (oops, sorry, “rollbacks”) for stocking generic drugs. That’s why I go there instead of to the big chain stores that display the propaganda. I highly doubt that the pharmacist at the big drugstore I used to go to, would have done this for me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am aware that the pharmacist doesn’t have to tell your doctor that they are giving you generic replacements. My main concern is do they have to tell the patient they are giving generic replacements?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

With so many people taking a look at their medicines and being surprised to discover that they’ve been given the generic versions, I suspect it’s completely legal not to tell them. So it’s up to us to be smart consumers and take a very close look at the pills before we accept and pay for them. Now that I’ve had a chance to try a branded ADHD drug instead of a generic one, and based on what I’ve heard and read about the shortcomings of these generics, I shall insist on the branded from now on.

Today is my second day on branded Concerta, and I can definitely feel the effects of it, even though this is only my second dose. About 2 hours after I’d taken it, I got a lovely calmness and more focus (as opposed to hyper-focus) than I can ever remember feeling. I went walkies, and, for the first time, was able to actually slow down and enjoy it, instead of rushing to get to where I was going as quickly as possible. Walking like that, instead of slamming my feet down on the sidewalk, I noticed that at the end of my walk, my feet didn’t hurt nearly as much.

When I stopped for lunch at a food court, instead of just grabbing my usual quick junk nosh of KFC or allegedly Chinese food or a burger, I thought about it, and opted for chicken souvlaki (no sauce), with a green salad (no dressing or feta) and rice—a food court meal I hadn’t had in years. And although I knew I had half an hour to eat and get to my massage appointment, I ate slowly, and without feeling the need to grab something to read while I was doing it. I focussed on my lunch, and on a tiny bit of people-watching. And, for the first time, I was able to sit down and eat, without my usual very fidgety leg going a mile a minute.

During my massage, I was actually able to relax to the point of almost falling asleep by the end of it, even though the masseur was working on some very tight and sore muscles. Walking home afterwards, I stopped in 2 stores, was able to resist most of the urge to look at other things on the shelves that caught my eye, and at the end of it, I bought ONLY the things I’d intended to. I was amazed at how little I’d spent.

The Concerta didn’t totally stop all the impulsivity, distraction, fidgetiness, and urge to do things as quickly as possible, but it definitely greatly reduced them. And it enabled me to quickly catch myself, think what I was doing, and tell myself to stop and get back on track.

This is quite a remarkable sensation!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are altering the internal narrative inside of you and not responding to the voice of the “child” who acts without regard to practicality, health or reason. That is what the psychostimulants do; they suppress the voice of the inner child. Once the meds wear off, let the child out but use structure and routine to keep the fun within limits too.

Nice to see Dr. Kenny H. on the site.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

cherryberryblossom

my pharmacist told me the govt uses the generic ritalin called simply, methylphenidate. (maybe a few letters before the name or after, like ER or XE?) when i was on assistance years ago. they have a sign on the wall saying they can switch if you are on assistance. but if you are paying, they ask you. and i found it doesn’t work at all!. i hated it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)