Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Geographical distribution

Geographical distribution2011-03-19T16:41:51+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Geographical distribution

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Wgreen
    Participant

Is there any research that tracks the global geographical distribution of ADD? For example, does it seem to be more prevalent in North America than in Europe? Or Asia? Would the criteria for such studies be internationally consistent so as to be valid?

The reason I pose the question is the “risk-taking,” entrepreneurial tendencies of North Americans. Most of us who live in the United States and Canada are the descendants of people who risked everything to come to a strange New World. When you think about it, many people who sold their homes and belongings to set out for the Americas must have been considered “insane” by their neighbors. Sure, some came to escape unbearable conditions at home. But many others came with nothing more than a dream and twenty dollars (after the cost of the voyage)—and no idea how it would all turn out. With this in mind, you have to wonder whether an abundance of ADDers helped shape our innovative, entrepreneurial culture.

Just a thought. In any event, I’d be interested to know whether statistics show an over-representation of ADD in the New World. Anybody know?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a source for this information. I am trying to search my comp archives but it probably was dumped.. If I remember correctly I questioned if the diagnosis criteria of add/adhd was the same on other continents. There were hot spots but again if my memory (haha) suits me the hot spot was the Ukraine but do not quote me. It was a location that surprised me though… Is this for a research paper or typical have to know this for my own vault of knowledge?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Thanks for your response.

I’m just curious. I once heard a lecture by a (European) academic who seemed to suggest that ADD was largely a North American phenomenon, implying that American (and Canadian) doctors were over-diagnosing it, creating an fictitious epidemic. In his next sentence, he derided what he viewed as the over-use of stimulants to treat it.

Maybe this was just his own bias. And I do know from experience that clinicians in the U.S. and other countries don’t always see eye to eye on a range of issues. So I was concerned that reliable international statistics might not exist.

If they do, and if they show interesting patterns, it would be fascinating to speculate about the ramifications.

By the way, I know a Ukrainian family, and they indeed have been ravaged by ADD. Interesting.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could Ireland be a hot spot?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great I am Irish! What does that tell ya!

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

I’m Irish too (1/2) (other half Estonian) and I’m sure it came from that side of the family because we had an uncle that was kept away in secret (he lived at the VA and wouldn’t see visitors) because he had a “nervous” condition. They all assumed he’d been traumatized by the war and maybe he was, but everyone seemed to remember that he was very fidgety and a chain smoker. I now wonder if he had ADD with other contributing factors such as social anxiety. Imagine being institutionalized for ADD!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)