Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Going off meds

Going off meds2011-09-27T11:56:24+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Alternative Treatments Going off meds

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having trouble with my meds. It’s either too little or too much. My current dosage is so small that I don’t think it’s having a positive effect any more. So, in the interest of science, I’m trying some time off the meds. I’ve just been taking small doses of Ritalin and Concerta, but I don’t know how long I need to be off them until I can be sure it’s “just me” and not some after effects of the meds. Currently I feel uneasy and focusing is a challenge. We’ll see how the day goes.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Hi GameGuy!

Have you looked at trying a different medication? I started my journey on Concerta and did not notice too much of a difference, plus had nasty side effects. My Dr. said that there are so many other options for ADHD medications, that it makes no sense sticking with one that isn’t working and/or making life unpleasant. We decided to switch to Adderall to see how it worked. Although I have had to play with dosages (still am actually) I notice a big difference.

Your Dr. would be the expert in how long it will take to be “just you” and to recommend any other options.

One thing I have learned is that it is highly individual. What works for me may not for others, and vice versa. Good thing there are many different options out there!!

Hoping your day went well!

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

To provide an anecdotal response to your question about how long it takes before the meds wear off – I have no idea about Ritalin (as I’ve never taken it). One day I was forgetting things and losing stuff all over the place and was majorly distracted. Since the symptoms were so obvious, I had to think back and that’s when I realized I hadn’t taken Concerta that morning. The lack of it effected me that much.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have been off ritalin for 4 weeks now and my sleep issues started to get worse within the first few days. Am waiting for report from sleep study, and have been advised not to go back on the ritalin. I’m not alert during the day when I need to be, have bruises I can’t account for and one whopping big goose-egg on my head (over a previous one that had almost healed) from hitting my head on something I should have been paying more attention to. I am using a website blocker during the day and late evening hours to prevent me from surfing the internet and since I’m off work today I had to use a different browser to circumvent this. Have followed quite a few of my “really great ideas” down the garden path as usual, wasting many hours that could have been used more productively had I been able to focus and not be distracted. Am totally seeking stimulation in order to stay alert, but it doesn’t last long.

I’m struggling and frustrated, 2 more weeks before I see the sleep doc for my followup. I haven’t had experience with any other stimulant meds.

How’s the drug holiday going, gameguy?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Day one wasn’t too bad – it seemed like I could function as normally as I did when I was taking the medication.

Today (Day two) is proving to be much more difficult. It started out okay when I was able to act on a plan I had established the previous day, but that lasted all of 30 minutes. Now I can’t seem to get started on anything new (or unfinished tasks from weeks ago) and I am very irritated at myself because of it.

I’ve tried a lot of different medications in different combinations. The problem is that my biology is very sensitive to these things. I can handle a little bit, which doesn’t offer very much relief, but when we up the dosage, the side effects kick in and I get irritable, stressed, etc.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Ritalin made me very irritable on the down. I stopped taking it. I also found it only helped with my focus. My focus was great… compared to Dexedrine or Vyvanse (what im now taking). With the Vyvanse the side effects are not as harsh because of the drug compound. With this med not only do I have the focus but everything is quiet and clear. The side effects I always get are dry mouth – I chew gum – loss of appetite – this is not a problem since im overweight, but if I dont eat I feel really gross and get a headache so I make sure I eat the right amounts – and thats about it really. I can tell when it stops working only because my focus is gone and people then think im on drugs because I get very hyper and scattered hahaha I am having problems sleeping but I dont know if this is due to the med itself or the night shifts I am now doing. I fall asleep fine but then wake almost every hour and am wide awake at 4am. Bleh.

I too am thinking about not taking the Vyvanse for a bit… I dont have any problems at work without meds, but the biggest thing the meds help with are my constant drive/itch for destructive stimulus… Well thats really the most important thing. I guess im just rebelling at the thought of having to take meds to function normally once again… not to mention paying $200 a month out of my pocket.

Good luck to you! It will be interesting on how it turns out!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, the world is conspiring to make me feel like an idiot – this is usually the time I take something just to keep from breaking down entirely. A lot of it is just the negative effects of being a failure for over 50 years, but the medicine would at least help me calm down to cope. Guess it’s time to call the doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Whats going on? :(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess I’m coping – just too much stress and foolishly allowing myself to convince me that the worst is about to happen. I’m just too isolated most of the time so I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing or not – and I have a desperate need to know I’m not messing up. Called the doctor, he’ll probably call back when I’m out getting groceries. I feel like I should be doing something (this has been plaguing me for the past month) but I can’t seem to cross that threshold without being given some sort of direction. Why can’t I just do things on my own?

The big deal is that I’ve been in these situations before and it feels like the only thing I’m getting from the meds are side effects.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I know with the meds I only noticed them working when I stopped taking them. They were only subtle changes. Since January I have been on Dexedrine, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, back to Dexedrine, Adderall, back to Dexedrine and then Vyvanse. When it comes to side effects thats when you have to weigh the benefits against the side effects. Your lucky if you dont experience any side effects! Here was my experience.

Dexedrine – Side Effects (SE) – Dry Mouth, Decreased appetite, Insomnia (only if I took my last dose too late), Rebound between and after doses.

– Pros – I had focus, my brain was quiet – still jumping here and there but could filter out other stimulus, therefore decreasing my stimulus overload which made me snap or avoid social places like downtown – Because of the quiet things were clearer and I felt calmer. I would still feel overwhelmed at times, but was able to slow down.

Ritalin & Ritalin SR – SE – Sever Irritability on the rebounds. One day I remember getting into my moms car (my poor husband) and she sits so close to the window because she short, and she has all these colourful things hanging off her mirrior, the sun was right in my face… I flipped out! I remember yelling “WHY THE HECK DOES SHE HAVE THESE STUPID THINGS HERE IN MY FACE! HOW CAN ANYONE DRIVE LIKE THIS! GET THESE OUT OF HERE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! HURRY UP!! I was so worked up and angry I almost couldnt drive. Because of the rebound I had sensory overload to the max! More so than ever! It only lasts an hour, but an hour was too much! Concerta is Ritalin, so I didnt try that.

-Pros – Ritalin gave me the best focus out of all the stimulants ive been on, but did not give me that calm and clearness Dexedrine did.

Adderall – SE – Dry mouth. Insomnia for the first 2 weeks. Severe decreased appetite, to the point where I didnt even want to think about food. The thought of food made me sick and so I would go all day with out eating, get a huge headache and feel very nauseous. Because of that gross feeling I didnt want to take it anymore.

– Pros – Only one pill a day so no rebound. Had my focus, no sensory overload (calm/clear).

Vyvanse – SE – Dry Mouth. Decreased appetite. Only difference with this appetite is that food is still appealing so I will eat and avoid the whole getting sick and cranky part.

– Pros – One pill a day. Little to no rebound. Im focused, no sensory overload. Not that gross feeling I got from Adderall.

Like I said before, most medications come with side effects… But are they worth you living without them? Some side effects are short lived. Some may be forever. I first started taking medication in January, almost 9 months later, after going through all those meds, reading books on ADD, reading these forums and hiring a coach, im JUST beginning to learn what is the ADD and how the meds play into the control of it. Meds dont teach habits. The things that the meds do for me are so subtle and small… yet they make such a huge difference.

Over the nine months I have noticed more and more differences they are making. Now when I dont take them, or once they wear off my husband notices, I notice, my kids notice, even my parents, siblings and friends notice! My friends dont know im on medication…. its quite funny when they wear off because then I become very hyper, very scattered, I always forget what im doing and then they ask “Are you on drugs? Seriously?? Whats going on?? Whats wrong with you?” hahahaha Little do they know, problem is they’ve just worn off! hahahaha

Sorry for writing so much and trailing off. I hope it helps a little bit and that I was understanding correct (I tend to pick up the wrong details all the time hahaha) Its different for everyone of course and because of that it takes time in finding the right med, the right dose etc etc. The longer you do it, the more you become aware and the easier it gets. Just takes time! Unfortunately having ADD we always feel rushed and that we dont have time! WE NEED IT NOW! hahahaha But its well worth it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for sharing. I can empathize, especially with the intense emotions. My frequent response (especially when I’m not medicated or the meds are wearing off) is to hit something, like I want to pound the “stupid” out of myself. I want to be calm, I want to feel okay about indulging myself, I want to be able to just pick something and DO IT! I don’t know the first thing about accomplishing that. I keep asking, but no one seems to be able to give me a direct answer.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Intense emotions are difficult to cope with thats for sure. Im just begginning to understand my emotions… well I have two emotions it seems. VERY hyper and happy, to VERY angry and raging for no reason. I think that was the biggest help from my ADD coach. Was being able to stop and reflect on that rage or excitement. Sadly we are slaves to our emotions it seems with ADD. Thats a different ramble!

Before I start rambling again, I think you are asking about how to actually get things done? Like accomplish daily tasks, goals etc? That question had me running in circles… Is that what your asking?

With me I have all my goals laid out I knew how to get there… all the steps in between but for the life of me still couldnt get it done. The easiest of things! I had all this energy and motivation! I could do this and that! This needs to be done! That needs to be done!! askdjasl,kjdhas lkjdha lskjdh thats my interpretation of my excited/intense state. But then where to begin?? THeres so much to do!! Its not as easy as this or that! Soon someone telling me to simply wash the floor has turned into a huge overwhelming situation! What soap do I use? Do I use a rag? Which one? What temperature should the water be? Where do I start? Wash in circles? etc etc and then theres the pressure of family! Why cant you just do your laundry? Just do it! Gosh.. if only it were that simple. They dont understand how complicated out brains make it, never mind pairing that up with the overwhelming emotions of overwhelm, failure, and some days no energy, when other days you could run laps around the world and nothing will stop you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

gameguy, definitely get in touch with your doctor. Are you seeing a therapist at all? (I am, for meditation training but we also work on personal baggage). That could also be helpful. Don’t suffer alone when there’s help out there.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m considering it. My first therapist had ADHD himself and I found it frustrating when we didn’t deal with things that I thought we were going to. I just started a new job and I’m kind of self-conscious about taking too much time off to see various doctors. ADHD cost me my last three jobs and I feel like this is my last chance.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

With my ADD coach at first I was angry because we werent dealing with what I wanted to be dealing with. I thought it was going to be yet another waste of time and money. After the first two sessions I wrote her an email (I find it easier to explain myself and organize my thoughts when I type them out) and I told her how I wasnt liking the coaching and what I wanted out of it and what we were doing wasnt working, and if she couldnt help with what I wanted or needed, then where could I go. Since then its been great! She will suggest some things and when I get that “bleh not going to happen” feeling or just uneasy or angry about it, I let her know and she helps me figure out why I feel that way and how to work it out.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)