Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen

Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen2014-08-11T06:42:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Excited/Relieved Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ivriniel
    Participant

Last week, for the second year running I was part of a team in The Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen ( ). Only unlike last year where I was a newbie on a team of experienced GISHers, this year my husband and I were the defacto team leaders as we were the only team members who had done it before. 13 other people to organize. Wheee. (And I think the Mister has undiagnosed ADHD.)

Both times I have found GISHWHES to be an event that is really compatible with my ADHD. You have one week to complete as many items off a huge list as possible. This year’s list started out at 185 items, and then in the dying days of the hunt they added 10 more. The high pressure deadline was really good for focus. The sheer volume of stuff to do meant that if I lost focus on one thing, there were 5 other things I could move on to.

I think my crowning achievement this year was arranging a maypole dance in the Hamilton Go Station. I emailed around a bit, and next thing you know, I was meeting English Country Dancers with a maypole strapped to the roof of their car outside the Hamilton Go Station.

Another item I completed was illustrate the phrase “Feed your demons”. This is what I came up with:

I think other ADHDer’s might relate to that one.

Another great thing about GISHWHES with ADHD is that those million different ideas that you have during the day actually have application and help you make your items better.

All in all, my team submitted 79 of 190 items. We had 4 more completed, but a crashing computer ate those.

Oh, and one of the teams we were up against this year was organized by William Shatner and had Grant freaking Imahara from the Mythbusters. Shatner’s involvement caused them to create a new rule the “Shatner Clause”. Basically if any team that has anyone with a significant twitter presence on wins, the second place time also gets the grand prize.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

oh wow sorry I missed it! I participated two years ago and it was the most insane fun week I ever had! One of our  group’s submissions actually even made it into the souvenir book. I was still  on a high for at least a week after it was over!

REPORT ABUSE

delboy

I have absolutely no idea what this is, but it sounds like fun.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)