Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Had a recent failure.

Had a recent failure.2010-10-10T23:57:25+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its been a while since I posted a comment in here. I started my second year of practical nursing this past september. At the end of the first year I had two weeks of practicum after which I was put on probation. I was so worried about looking incompentent at times that I would forget certain things I had to do when getting an elderly client up in the morning. I had two in and a half weeks of practicum at the beginning of this year and at first it took a bit to get into a routine with the clients that were assigned to me. I felt that in the last week in a half of practicum that I did everything I was suppose to do and that things went a lot smoother then the first practicum. Well the instructor had a different opinion about things and since I was on probation, the program told me at the progress meeting that I was required to discontinue. I was devastated at first. I knew I forgot things at times but didn’t think it was a problem during the last week in a half. I do have issues with anxiety and don’t if its an ADD thing or a seperate thing altogether. My councelor thankfully got me into the continueing care assisant program. So I decided to do that and work for a year before retrying my second year of practical nursing. I”ve kept my head up but can’t help but think that ADD got in the way again.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Billy

Sorry to hear about your setback. There’s such an urgent need for RPNs and caregivers in our healthcare system. Did the instructor give you a detailed evaluation of your strengths and weaknesses – specifically where you went wrong or consistently fell below the acceptable standard of practice? That would help you to decide whether you can improve sufficiently to meet the standard, (maybe medication would help) or whether your disability will always be an impediment with this.

If you are currently enrolled in some kind of educational institution, you might have access to student health services. They might be able to fastrack you into improved treatment for your ADD, if that’s appropriate.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey there Billy. I think I understand what you are asking. The ADHD can bring on anxiety. I have an issue at my work. I have been advised to tell my boss about the ADHD but I am not ready to do that. Hopefully I get through that. I see the logic of it but it’s a bit scary.

I am a carpenter. I find myself always missing a step or two on the job all the time. It’s exhausting to go back and try to fix whatever it is i missed before someone else catches it.

With the meds this problem is better than it was. Still I have a way to go.

Good luck and try not to let things get you down.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is always a difficult question, isn’t it? Employers may be required, even willing, to make reasonable accommodations. But sometimes what we need might be beyond what they are willing or able to provide.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I checked on the law. You really need to read it before you do anything.

There are quite a few “rules” to sift through in order to qualify.

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/3611.html

Hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)