March 21, 2011 at 2:40 pm #89342
jpsimardMemberMarch 21, 2011 at 2:40 pmPost count: 50
So it’s a new year for me, in almost every sense of the word. I decided this year to call my birthday the Justin New Year, because it is the first day of the next year of my life. I find myself, as people often do, reflecting on the year that has past, and I have to say that the last year and the upcoming one have been some of the best of my life.
If you had told me last year at this time that I would:
1) Have lost 18lbs and trimmed more than ten inches off of my body
2) Would have the amazing relationship that I have with the Morris Family
3) That I feel like an adult
4) That I had Attention Deficit Disorder
5) That I LOOK FORWARD to going to the gym SIX DAYS A WEEK
6) That I would be moving to Europe for six months
7) That I will have created and maintained my own website
That I would have written my first press release (with help)
9) That I would have starred in a webseries
10) That the kind of relationship I share with Ellen exists outside movies…
I would have probably laughed out loud! I can safely say that I really don’t recognize myself anymore. I think that it is safe to say that today is a day which I would be more likely to feel contentment, but my life in general has gotten better. My diagnosis of ADD instead of a life sentence has been a reprieve. Challenges I have had in life were now clear and in perspective, and not only that, but I have tools to work towards a brighter future that will help me live up to the potential that I have always known I’ve had.
To put it in point form, so that I don’t rant, I have had a few life changing experiences and helpers this year that I’d like to knowledge:
1) Ellen – the first person not only to SEE my potential behind a storm of issues, but the only person to help me navigate towards my true potential with constant love and support. I feel like she somehow knew there was gold in them thar hills, and just kept digging until she found it. For this, I can never thank her enough. It was her attention and love that led me to seek help for ADD.
2) http://www.totallyadd.com – an INVALUABLE RESOURCE for adults with ADD. I first identified with symptoms I had exhibited my whole life when I watched their documentary – ADD AND LOVING IT?! It was their online assessment that led me to my family doctor, my psychiatrist, a diagnosis, and treatment!
3) A New Earth – Eckart Tolle. This is a book I feel that everyone should read. Some people are far ahead of it, some people aren’t ready for it. But I feel if everyone lived by it the world would be a better place.
4) Ishmael – Daniel Quinn. I borrowed this book from my buddy Todd MacLean and read it in about a week. It accurately articulated EVERYTHING I have been feeling about the relationship between human beings and the planet. It was as though I opened my eyes and could see for the first time.
5) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Dummies. Recommended to me by my shrink, and I’d recommend it to all of you. Let’s be honest. We ALL have issues. Since we ALL have them, we could ALL benefit from this book.
While I know that life will continue it’s ebb and flow, difficulties, hardships and joys, I feel that I know now what my life is all about. I feel like I have a handle on what I want to do, who I’d like to be. I know that I’m happy, and in love with life. So for that reason… it’s a Justin New Year.REPORT ABUSEMarch 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm #102448
jpsimardMemberMarch 21, 2011 at 2:46 pmPost count: 50
That was a repost of a note I just posted on facebook. I felt so strongly about what I said that I really wanted to repost it here in the emotional journey because I feel that sometimes it’s easiest to post, to cry out, when we need help and support. But I also feel that it’s really important to share the good stuff, so that when other people need to SEE, to know that there is a silver lining or a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s right here.
My diagnosis with ADD was just a step in a total lifestyle change that I was undergoing, and in many ways was the keystone for it, the one piece that was needed so that all the other parts could work together. Since ADD and LOVING IT?! and the quiz on this site led me to it, and to my new direction, I couldn’t be more grateful.
My profound new abilities (or rather, abilities realized) have come to fruition in more ways than I can realize, but most tangibly in my webpresence. I hate to self promote, but since I feel that we’re a tight knit community, you guys would appreciate the hours of work and FOCUS it took to make this.
So… if you want to check out http://www.indiegogo.com/justinopera I would be honored. I would be thrilled if you’d consider sharing it with a friend or two, as the more “buzz” this gets, the more likely my campaign will get featured on the mainpage.
My only hope for all of you out there who are struggling is that you keep your eyes on the prize. It gets better. It’ll always be a challenge, because that’s what life is… but it gets better!
JustinREPORT ABUSEMarch 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm #102449
AnonymousInactiveMarch 21, 2011 at 3:18 pmPost count: 14413
You GO, Justin!
I’m happy for you, and not just a little relieved that your post was not about Justin Freakin’ Bieber.
Seriously, I know how you feel — enjoy it, mate!
And Happy Justin New Year!
MarianREPORT ABUSEMarch 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm #102450
jpsimardMemberMarch 21, 2011 at 4:17 pmPost count: 50
I’m proud to be Canadian, but at this time it’s a bit trying to be a singer with the name Justin. It was fine a few years ago when Timberlake was bringing sexy back for us Justin’s… but now, it’s all about your HAIR.REPORT ABUSEMarch 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm #102451
AnonymousInactiveMarch 21, 2011 at 4:38 pmPost count: 14413
And just when you had gotten over that whole Celine thing, too.REPORT ABUSEMarch 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm #102452
jpsimardMemberMarch 21, 2011 at 10:06 pmPost count: 50
Oh God. Why do these artists torment us. What about the Who! Or the Barenaked Ladies. Or that Justin Simard guy…REPORT ABUSEMarch 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm #102453
AnonymousInactiveMarch 21, 2011 at 10:47 pmPost count: 14413
Here are some Canadian bands that I like:
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Our Lady Peace
I’m sure there are many more that I just don’t know are Canadian.REPORT ABUSEMarch 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm #102454
jpsimardMemberMarch 22, 2011 at 1:44 pmPost count: 50
I’ll see your bands, and raise you:
Joel Plaskett Emergency
Matt Mays and El Torpedo
Matt Anderson (OH MY GOD, THIS GUY IS SOOOOOOOO GOOD! I know it’s not Christmas, but youtube his cover of O Holy Night. Chills)
Alexis on Fire
Air Traffic Control
Avril Lavigne (Yeah. I like her sometimes. Sometimes I like to listen to shitty music and sing her covers while I play guitar. I’m a girl.)
Bachman Turner Overdrive
The Barra MacNeils
The Be Good tanyas
Broken Social Scene
Crash Test Dummies
Danko Jones (They call me the mango kid, but your girl calls me baby)
Great Lake Swimmers
Great Big Sea
Hey Rosetta! (Check out their video for There’s an Arc on youtube. Go do it now. This will be here when you get back)
Tegan and Sarah (ALSO SO GOOD)
Two Hours Traffic
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Some of these I like more than others, but all are Canadian!REPORT ABUSEMarch 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm #102455
AnonymousInactiveMarch 24, 2011 at 8:35 pmPost count: 14413
Nice list (mostly). I never knew BTO were Canadian. They sounded like good ol’ Southern boys to me.REPORT ABUSEMarch 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm #102456
Lindstr7MemberMarch 24, 2011 at 9:24 pmPost count: 103
Justin, Thanks so much for sharing your successes. I gotta tell ya I’m kind of feeling the way you are right now. I was just diagnosed and this is my third day on meds and alREADY I’m seeing a whole new world opening up for me. To think that I’ve gotten by all these years in that muddled fog-of-a-mind of mine, its truly a miracle. My sister committed suicide 5 years ago and after being diagnosed, I had an ahHA moment reflecting on her life and now believe that she had ADD as well and just couldn’t cope when it got to finally be too much for her.
A wholistic approach is definitely the best way to go, I’m on a brown rice and veggie diet (mostly) and hope to soon be exercising regularly (baby steps!). I’m no longer drinking alcohol or smoking pot (my favorite sleeping pill) and my house is clean! Yarg! Thats a new one for me. And you found LOVE!!! And you’re going to EUrope!!! (i’m jealous).
I can’t wait for the next steps in my life (a real life), school is on my agenda too. Thank you for giving us a peek at a true success story, gives me hope and energizes my resolve. Thanks!REPORT ABUSE
HAPPY JUSTIN NEW YEAR!!!jpsimard2011-03-21T14:40:48+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)