Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Has anyone tried the Paleo-diet?

Has anyone tried the Paleo-diet?2011-07-13T16:59:42+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Diet Has anyone tried the Paleo-diet?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, its hard to take an article seriously that contains the statement “Addition of Açaí [Berries] to Cigarettes Has a Protective Effect Against Emphysema in [Smoking] Mice.” Seriously.

Of course the general population of vegetarians live longer than the general population of meat eaters. They’ve often decided to become vegetarian to be health concious. So they’re not eating the same highly refined, sweetened, modified fatted junk food that a large portion of the general population is. If they were to compare vegetarians only to lean meat eaters who conciously eat a large selection of vegetables, it would be a whole diferent story. Filled with B12, vitamin D and other esential nutrient deficiencies (not to mention our precious omega 3’s which many people cannot convert the vegetarian type to what their bodies need).

I find it interesting that its ok (admired even) to cut out animal products, which are the most efficient source of protein and amino acids and certain nutrients but if you consider removing grains (which humans have only been eating for a short part of our existance) its like you’re suicidal.

And as for “those that eat meat have about twice the odds of being on antacids, aspirin, blood pressure medications, insulin, laxatives, painkillers, sleeping pills, and tranquilizers” for me personally, I have more need of several of these (as well as antihistamines, decongestants, NSAID’s and caffeine), when I’m following the recomended carbohydrate intake than when low carbing.

Some of the latest research is trending toward improper carbohydrate consumption causing insulin reaction in almost half the population, and causing obesity, diabetes and other related health conditions. You may have heard mentions of metabolism x, metabolism B or metabolic syndrome. Why do you think the obesity rates, gluten intolerance, and food allergies have skyrocketed since we were advised to cut out fat and increase carbohydrate consumption in the 80’s. Not to mention the franken-wheat we eat today bears very little resemblance to what we were eating a century ago.

I do apreciate your concerns, and don’t worry I won’t be eating nothing but bacon 8 times a day (I eat lots of veggies and pulses along with the lean proteins and some dairy). The reason I haven’t re-started yet is partly because I haven’t found the right guide (maybe a naturopath or nutritionist), and partly because I have ADHD and have no idea how to begin ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

And Allan, I wouldn’t worry too much about the arsenic (unless your cooking it in apple juice, lol), and rice does not contain gluten (though as scattybird mentioned barley does, also rye, spelt and some other grains do, but wheat is the most common) but it is very high on the glycemic index, so if you have any blood sugar problems you should probably avoid refined rice and stick to the whole grain (though it might take some getting used to) and I don’t recomend takeout sized portions. I think half a cup is a recomended serving (shocking isn’t it), though if you meatbolize carbs well you may be able to get away with more.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Distractomom – in my post above I actually said “I think for ADD a balanced and healthy diet is essential with good quality protein.” I included the link out of interest – I didn’t endorse the article. I believe there is some recent evidence that animal fat is actually good for us – not the lean variety, the proper fatty tasty stuff.

A balanced diet with modest portions is all that is required unless someone has a particular medical problem that means a specific diet needs to be followed. If the average person wants to eat healthier all they need to do is reduce their intake of refined sugar.

Not really rocket science. All the faddy diets out there are generally useless. Good food needs to be a way of life. It’s not rocket science.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Scattybird, sorry if I went off on a tirade, it honestly wasn’t directed at you. It was more just venting as a result of other reactions from closed minded people who are very close to me. And also for the researches taking (often incomplete) data, and twisting it to their point of view and confusing the readers (for example in this article they don’t mention all the people who try vegetarianism only to quit because they haven’t done it right and get terribly ill, also I didn’t see it mentioned how long one needs to be vegetarian to have an effect on your longevity, what have all those years of nasty animal fats done to their bodies before).

I did see you’re comments about healthy diet, and mostly agree. However my idea of medical conditions requiring diet changes may be a bit wider spanned than others.

I also believe that we, as a species are very diverse, and everyones metabolic needs are different.

Sorry I’m doing it again, aren’t I. I don’t know why I can’t just shut up about it, lol.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

PS. While I agree that eating well is NOT rocket science, between the food addiction (to carbohydrates since I was a young child) and the poor impulse control, it sure feels like it sometimes ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Aah – our lack of self control is a whole other matter…..

:)

REPORT ABUSE

dales

Hi Pete,
    Informative post on Paleo diet so thanks for the info. Like to say we must have nutritive diet plan formulated by physicians to meet our fitness goals and to meet body requirements for daily exercises.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)