Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Have diagnosis.

Have diagnosis.2010-02-06T05:46:21+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Have diagnosis.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its been nearly four years. My psychiatrist has been hard to get a hold of lately, but I finally got through to him once I hit a wall. My parnter wanted to leave me because I wasn’t improving fast enough. For her, looking after me has been totally sucking the life out of her. I swore I’d take responsibility for my treatment and management for about the millionth time. I live in Melbourne, Australia. We’re so arse backwards here that my local psychiatric hospital’s crises team actually referred me to a place that treats AD/HD with nutritional supplements and neurofeedback, with the goal of “getting me off medication” because I asked to speak to a psychologist familiar with the condition. I’ve been hung up on by various mental health places for saying I’m an adult with diagnosed AD/HD.

My psychiatrist is going to have me come in more frequently. I’m pretty sure he’s going to switch my medication, but its taken me to the point where I had to try to be commited to a psychiatric ward in order to get help.

Sorry about the rant. This is something that’s driving me up the wall. I have combined type, I tend to show every major symptom of AD/HD, I wasn’t diagnosed at 17 and when I was I was given meds and sent on my way. Medication without any structure is the worst kind of tease I’ve found. My partners mother actually tried to convince me to leave her daughter.

I have the appointment on Monday, but everything is getting on top of me. I’m trying to clean my apartment after letting it pile up for months and its been the most draining experience. Anyone here familiar with any resources in Australia? Every psychologist I look into for CBT for AD/HD has almost no experience with adults. There is no such thing as an AD/HD coach here as far as I know. It’s just getting to be too much.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

http://www.adders.org/ausmap.htm is a pretty good site and somewhere to start the journey of connecting to people. The Australians have actually done a very good job in trying to create reasonable guidelines and approaches. That is not to say they do it differently than anyone else or that ADHD is something different in the southern hemisphere but there are local strategies that are unique to a country and their infrastructures.

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topics/Attention_Deficit_Disorder__ADD_or_ADHD_

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)